Thread: Help please!

Default Help please!

I am a new shop teacher i need a program that can make a triangle when i input the variables, i also need it to print them to the screen,
    thanks Steve

Any CAD program can do this for you.

You might want to look into a CAD program that supports parametric design. That is you can set distances and angles by specifying parameters.

Dimensions with AutoCAD, and its affordable clone IntelliCAD, normally display the value of a distance or angle. Whereas parametric CAD programs drive the distance/length of a line or value of an angle by changing the value of the dimension. This would be very handy for your students who want to do a little trial and experimentation with different values.

While you could set up a design for the students to change the provided variables, it would be a good learning exercise to have them extend the basic setup to include the formulas to have the model change via the input of any or certain angles and distances. Such as, what is the opposite leg distance when an angle is input across from it?

I prefer the 3D Solid Parametric modeling software Alibre Design, with the Free Xpress version that you and your students can download and use at school or home. You can find free video and text tutorials to help new users learn to use the software.

Also, there are free downloads of other software that contains parametric capabilities: SolidEdge 2D, Medusa, and CoCreate. I even found a few more by doing a Google search for "free parametric cad".

I will admit my bias and state that my favorite is Alibre Design, and use it to create models for manufacture on a ShopBot via DXF output. I find it very straight forward and easy to use, with a very intuitive interface for new users. I will be glad to provide email assistance in getting the DXF output to the ShopBot if required. We nest shapes and create DXF output to send to ShopBot coding software of choice.

A good free screen capture program for printing is Gadwin PrintScreen, if you need help getting the info on the screen to a printer.

Actually i need to make the program with code on the edit screen that you can input a variable have it make a triangle and have the machine go to the variables and print it to the screen if you have any suggestions please tell me

Thanks, Steve

So... for example, you want to write a shopbot code (.sbp) file that when it runs it asks for input of 3 points? i.e. 0,0, 3,0 0,4 which would create a 3,4,5 triangle anchored on 0,0?

Then... while it's running you want the output to be a simulation in preview mode? or... you want it to actually cut the file while outputting something to a print window?

Robert

Steve,

A lot of it depends on what kind of triangles you want. If you just need equilateral triangles here's some sample code that uses the MD command. You could easily modify it to do any triangle by adding inputs for the angles and side lengths of the first 2 sides.

Note that this sample doesn't have any Z axis moves but will preview just fine...you'll need to add the Z moves if you want to cut them

' save the starting point so that it can return to the starting point to make the 3rd side

&start_X = %(1)
    &start_Y = %(2)

' Input the length of the sides

INPUT "Type the length of the sides of the triangle" &side_length

MD, &side_length, 90 ' make first move parallel to X axis
    MD, &side_length, 120L ' make second side
    M2, &start_X, &start_Y ' return to starting point to make 3rd side

Check out the command reference for the MD command to see all the options...it was created for jobs like this.

Bill

There is a free triangle calculator at the following website: http://ostermiller.org/calc/triangle.html

Seems like you could put your variables into that calculator which would create your triangle and then you could use the measurements of the sides of that triangle in just about any CAD/CAM or CorelDraw/AdobeIllustrator kind of graphics program to do what I think you want to do, but maybe I'm still not understanding what you're trying to do.

Thanks alot guys this really helped me

Steve