Thread: Tabbing

Default Tabbing

I have been trying different settings in link. I have found the tabbing problem, when cutting small parts, which I used to not have is now present as long as I try 2 tabs per part. If I go with a single tab it is fine.
    The only problem is losing the odd part.
    I hope this can help someone else and maybe point towards a solution.

I am talking about larger parts but i use as many as 4 tabs per piece. Insure that your cut depth is not much deeper than you stock piece, you can cut through your tab..

I've been using SBLink since 2009.

Unfortunately, tabbing is a very weak (basically unusable) piece of SBLink. The software randomly sets tab positions that, for the most part, will not work to hold your pieces in place. I've just come to the point that I use the feature to leave a 1/32" skin on smaller parts. I then use a Rotozip to cut the parts out.
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.

Don,

This is off topic but I visited your website and wanted to complement you on it. Also I'm really impressed with the scope and quality of your work. Looks like you have tons of skills from design, construction and finishing. Keep up the good work.

Wish you lived closer so I could come by and steal some of your good idea's.

Joe

Thank you for the kind words Joe.

I've followed you here and have gotten a lot of good advice about making signs from your posts. Thank you for all the effort you have put into supporting the community here. You are an inspiration!

Don
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.

If I'm cutting some smaller parts I'll spray some contact cement on the spoil board, let it dry then put the sheet down. Seems to help a lot. Mind you you have to get amount of contact cement and the drying time right or you'll have a hard time getting your parts off the spoil board.

I made a stupid mistake when cutting this cutting board. I did not use any tabs on the inside handle. When the piece cut loose and started flying around it put the bot in such a bind that i knocked my piece loose. Using a laser beam i was able to line it back up and re-cut the handle. Now other than that what i have had good luck with, i add 1/4 inch rubber washers under my piece and clamp the hell out of it. That way when you do a profile cut out, you tend to save your sacrifice board.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sure looks good to me.

I love tabs. At one time I set up a vacuum which took a long time and money. Everything I do now is with bridges. It can be a creative process by itself. Much of it depends on the materials.

thanks but i had to improvise on the fly. Since my absolute zero was off a tad, i had to make the outside profile a little smaller and the inside of the handle a little bigger. But until now no one but me knew that.