Thread: BT 48 Dimensions for wheels

Default BT 48 Dimensions for wheels

Hi guys,

I have a free standing bt48 with casters headed my way (no crate/pallet) and I'm trying to figure out if the machine will fit on a truck's lift gate with all 4 wheels touching down. I have the overall foot print dimensions of the machine, but not the spacing of the wheels so I can make sure it wouldn't be hanging off the edge of the lift. Can one you fine bt48 owners take a quick measurement for me to check distance in length and width in terms of where the wheels touch the ground?

Thanks!
    Matt

Not in front of the machine Matt but all wheels are inside the outside frame. The levelling feet are right on the outside perimeter. If you are worried you can lower these for the lift.
    Buddy BT48 with 6' power stick
    2.2 HSD Spindle
    Aspire 9.5
    6" ShopBot Indexer

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Eustace View Post
    Not in front of the machine Matt but all wheels are inside the outside frame. The levelling feet are right on the outside perimeter. If you are worried you can lower these for the lift.
    Bob, that's precisely the point. As you said, the wheels are inside of the outer frame, meaning that if you were to take LxW measurements of the machine from where the wheels touch the ground, it would be smaller than LxW dimensions of the rest of the machine. From Shopbot's website, you can get the footprint of the machine, i.e. the max dimensions (for example, its widest where the aluminum extrusion pokes out on each end). However, if your trying to put the machine on a lift gate that is 7 feet in length but only 2 feet wide (deep), only 2 wheels are going to be on the lift gate with the other two hanging over the edge. If the lift gate is 36" wide (deep), maybe it could fit all 4 wheels so nothing has to hang over the edge and be less likely to tip. If the wheels can't fit on the lift gate without hanging over the edge, then the leveling feet definitely won't (since they are further apart). Does that help explain?

Thanks

32" x 58.5" wheel centre to wheel centre.....
    Buddy 48 Standard with 2.2 Hp Spindle with standard and 6' stick. Aspire 10.5
    2.2Hp universal 4 zone Vac Table

Thank you! That should help out quite a bit. With those wheel base dimensions I shouldn't have a problem resting on the lift gate w/ all 4 wheels touching down. The sad part is that I have to take apart the fully assembled machine to get it into my basement. However, I think most of it can stay together and fit through the door way with the 4ft extrusion/deck slid out. I just have a really funky setup with a deck above and partially obstructing the access to the 3 steps that lead down to the basement door from a height standpoint. Since the deck is old and shitty and needs replacement anyway, I'm thinking about cutting the height obstructing portion and attaching some hinges to making a swinging "trap door" that I can raise up when needed, and then re-support it underneath.

Thanks again!
    Matt