Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big Bot had a baby bot...

Default Big Bot had a baby bot...

....a funny looking little blue/silver one!

https://youtu.be/OJi1QEiGhqY

All parts, aluminum and 1.125" MDF, were cut on a PRS Alpha. As the finished piece in the video shows, it's running with the new wireless FabMo/G2 system that is now being used on the latest HandiBot tools.

The new G2 motion control is very nice and as you can see in the following videos, 3D relief files also run quick and efficiently.

https://youtu.be/sxr-AX5xUbQ

https://youtu.be/2FFn9WIiQBA

Rather than going through the whole build process here, you can read more about it here and see more pictures and videos. Not much activity there, but you can come back here if you have any question/comments.

The new FabMo/G2 system will be something to keep your eye on as it continues to evolve and move from the HandiBots on to other tools in the SB line!

I've got more to do with the little thing as time permits, so I'm sure it will continue to evolve as well.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Scott

pretty darn cool for sure!!

Scott,
    Is this Your build?
    Liking it!
    scott
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Looks good
    Kyle Stapleton
    River Falls Renaissance Academy
    Math/Technology Education Teacher

PRS Alpha 96x60 2.2 hp spindle, Double Air drills, 6" indexer, Fein 5 zone vac table
    Desktop w/spindle
    Potter Pen
    Aspire 8.5, Creo 3.0

Nicely done Scott!

Thanks guys, it's been a fun little project.

Scott, it's a combination of two designs that the Microcarve forum guy (John) has, with a bunch of my own modifications/adaptations and scaled up to get a little more cutting size. This one has a 15" x 12" x 4" envelope. Need to try one of those small v-bits you've been using to see what amount of detail I can pull out of it. From what I've see with the 0.040" ballnose so far, it's pretty good.
    Scott

Thanks Scott,
    It looked really smooth on 3D, and that's a good size for small stuff.
    Almost all the 3D I've done lately is with the Onsrud .25" 30 degree engraving bit with a .01" flat(D/Spade type) as the .25" has .5"CEL and I can usually do it with no roughing in one pass with 20% stepover if entered as an engraving bit.(been cheating on some, and calling it a .005"flat with a 40% stepover-need to buy an actual .005" tip)
    What's the machines OS?
    How does it do if toolpath run twice,besides deflection dust? (Repeatability)
    What's the spindle max RPM?
    Enough questions--more caffeine before the guys show up
    scott
    scott P.
    Maine

Scott,

It's using a Desktop driver board like yours and a controller card plugged into it that is similar to yours, but it has different firmware on it (G2 core motion by Synthetos). There's a small Intel Edison SBC (single board computer) attached to that and it runs Yocto Linux for the OS. The Intel Edison is connected to the controller by way of a very short USB connector. It puts out a wireless network that can be connected to or it can connect to your local wifi network. The FabMo engine runs on the Linux OS and serves up a web page(s) that make up the 'Dashboard' for loading/running part files, specialize apps, configuration, etc. You can log onto it from any device (PC, laptop, tablet, smart phone) with a browser (Chrome or FireFox).

You can read more about it and how it is being used on the new HandiBots here and here. The last one is a bit outdated as far as hardware being used, but it's the same in principle.

Repeatability and resolution is good. Re-ran numerous test files and since clearing a bit of corruption in part of the system, it's been right on since.

Spindle is 0 - 24000 RPM. ER16 for up to 3/8" collets. Had some serious runout on the first unit and had to return it. Second unit is good.
    Scott

Thanks again Scott!
    Sure would be nice to have 24K for spade type engraving bits instead of 18K, and at that size I don't think I'd miss 1/2" collets much.
    Looks like you've got a runner there
    Congrats!
    scott
    Oh, What are MS? Looks pretty good.
    scott P.
    Maine

The 'Hello World' v-carve is at 1.5,1 for the smaller text and 2,1.5 for the large text. The deer cabin is running at 2.5,2.

I've been able to run it, just for a test and not cutting anything, as high as 8 in/sec with a soft 'Jerk' setting (similar to ramp)! Settling on a max of 4,6 at the moment.
    Scott