Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Student Projects

Green Acres Woodworking, North Bend Washington

Lindy,

Im curious what tool was used to cut the fret slots on the fret board of the guitar above. These slots are very thin, and generally cut with a very small saw. Can you describe the tool or tell me what the student used?

Thanx,
    Scott...

soonerhop@netzero.net Guest

Scott,

What we ended up using, was a very small v-bit that was actually a dremmil bit, but it had a 1/8" shank, so we had to use an adaptor that dremmel sold also, so that it would go into the router. I'm not sure the angle, it was very sharp, like 20 degrees. It was just something we tried, we bought it at Lowe's. We had looked everywhere for something that would work, and it was just small enough that it worked perfect.

Lindy Hopper

I just thought I would send some pics of my latest project that has consumed mine and my students time the last couple of weeks. We were asked to make these 48" round basketball plaques to replace the old painted ones that were left in our old school gym. These will be hung up tommorrow in our new school gym. These plaques recognize the 13 State Champion Basketball teams that Canyon HS has won since 1950. 11 Girls and 2 boys. They were cut into circles, painted purple,covered with a vinyl paint mask, then the letters were V-Carved on the Shopbot, the carved letters were then painted, and the mask removed. This was my first attempt making painted signs, so I was really pleased with the results. It took a while to type in and layout all the names, then it took about 1 -1 1/2 hour to cut all the names in each plaque. Every bit of the techniques I used on this project I picked up in this forum so I really appriciate all the information everyone.

As most teachers know, we don't get paid near enough, so we have to at least show we are producing and teaching the kids the latest technology so the school district, will want to buy the tools/machines to do the job right. Trust me the best PR I could of done to impress my administrators is doing these signs. It helped they paid us pretty good for the work also.

If any of you would like to view pics of our new school shop go the the following site:

http://canyonisd.net/chs/index1.htm,
    Then go to Clubs> Technology Education> facilities.

5216.jpg
    5217.jpg

Lindy,
    It's nice to see that someone is still carrying the torch with trades in school. The metal and wood shops are long gone in my old HS since the emphasis is on executive or service oriented jobs in this area.

Since everyone and their brother is now doing IT work...I'm back to working with my hands and the shopbot & loving it!

Keep up the great work!
    -Brady

Tommy Glasscock (Unregistered Guest) Guest

I am in the process of looking at purchasing the shopbot I have a lot of questions about what I need to get started such as what software I would need Help me someone I teach Building Construciton and woodworking

Tommy,
    When speaking within a SB user's context, we break the software down into 3 categories:

1. CAD to design your actual parts in, IE AutoCAD

2. CAM instructions created in this software tell the CNC how to cut our parts from information you you provide...such as material dimensions, how much to cut in each pass and what type of bit you will use to cut your parts. You take the CAD file into CAM and create a toolpath.

3. CNC control software such as the ShopBot operating software, reads the instructions that you CAM software created & moves the tool.

Shopbot includes PartWizard, which is a CAD/CAM package. You can both design and toolpath with it. It is very easy to learn and has enough functionality for most users. It is a 2D software package, meaning that if you want to V-carve designs and do 3D reliefs you will need a more advanced package to do so.

Software selection and price is very dependent upon what type of objects you will be cutting.

-Brady

Tommy, I am a woodworking teacher. Our school bought a Shopbot a year and a half ago. It's been a great addition to or shop. Where are you loated? I'm in western Massachusetts. The Shopbotters on this forum are very helpful. If there is someone in your school with CAD experience they will be helpful. The Shopbot CAD software, Part Wizard, is fairly easy to learn.

Tommy Glasscock (Unregistered Guest) Guest

I am located in Central Alabama I would like to find someone close who has the shopbot set up so I could look at it We are very interested in purchasing one. I like being able to talk to other people about the product maybe we will have one soon Excited in Alabama

Tommy,

send me a email
    I am located in Bay Minette,AL

tommy glasscock (Unregistered Guest) Guest

this is an awsome forum I cant wait to get a shopbot and start a project my students are equally excited I just want to make sure I get what I need to make it work. in the past I have bought thing to find out later I needed to spend a lot more money just to make it work