Thread: Getting started, any advice/suggestions?

Default Getting started, any advice/suggestions?

Hi,

I'm a student in Industrial Technology at the University of North Dakota, and our department recently purchased a shop bot system. For part of a class, and out of personal interest, I have been involved in the assembly (we just finished getting the bed square and level) and will be involved in getting the system up and running, and showing other students how to use the system. I was just wondering if you have any adive on situations that a beginner to this system might encounter, and I was also wondering if you have any suggestions on a good sample project to show my classmates.

All feedback is appreciated,
    Nate Muzzy

For a sample project, get an .eps file of the University of N Dakota mascot or emblem and use vcarve pro or partwizard to make a cut file. If you need help, post the eps here or on vectric.com forum and someone will probably be happy to help get you started with a nice little UofND sign - maybe the Industrial tech department has a logo?.

As far as what to watch out for - read through the forums here a bit, we've all made lot's of mistakes getting started (and some of us still do). Once in a while we'll even admit our mistakes so much to be learned by reading forum. If a shopbot camp is to be held nearby, I'd highly recommend you attend if at all possible.

Set up the bot using proximity switches and an offset so that you can run the C3 XY zero routine. Then put a v bit in the machine and engrave an X and Y axis right into the table. This will come in quite handy when trying to set up projects on the table.

It might be worth while to consider a couple things like....
    Contact Onsrud or other bit suppliers to see if they would bring in their tech support folks to discuss speed, feed,materials, and bit selection.
    At least get their catalogs as reference.

For some talented student so inclined, you might set up a spreadsheet to document what the students develop for speed, feed, chip load, bit selection for the variety of materials they will test or use over time. Then the students who follow in their paths will have some useful information from which to be more effective on their projects.

I would contact material suppliers and distributors who make or sell a bunch of materials.
    Things for everything from signs to wood, foam to finishing materials.
    Most suppliers are very easy to work with and generally very helpful and willing to send samples, tech data, etc.
    You can learn a bunch here on the forum so start to look for materials and suppliers in posts, call and e-mail them. You'll get some nice info to explore projects and techniques.

Then research projects and photos for ideas. Integrating the shop bot and dimensional work with traditional furniture making, sign making, or accents will help your students become more creative and no doubt will produce some nice fund raiser signs, awards,and other showcase pieces for many a good cause or maybe even class funding for future accessories.
    Good luck.

Here is a project idea that would win you friends in the aviation department:
    Make wheel chocks that have the tail number v-carved into them. Then paint the numbers with reflective paint. This way when the pilots are going down a line of planes they can see which one they are looking for without going around to the tail.

Full disclosure: my son is in the aviation program at UND.