Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: F1 In School and Indexer

Hey Savoy,

I am also a PLTW IED Teacher and my district is ordering me a CNC router to cut the cars for the competition, I have a quote on the Shopbot Desktop waiting to go through do you think its a good CNC router to use for F1 in Schools?

I did not order the indexer, I was planning on doing a 2 sided cut as well. (can the indexer be bought later? Might be good for wheels)

I use Autodesk Inventor to model and then I use their CAM software to get the toolpaths.

What do you think about the Shopbot Desktop for the competition is what I am getting at.

Quote Originally Posted by EngineeringTeach2016 View Post
    Hey Savoy,

I am also a PLTW IED Teacher and my district is ordering me a CNC router to cut the cars for the competition, I have a quote on the Shopbot Desktop waiting to go through do you think its a good CNC router to use for F1 in Schools?

I did not order the indexer, I was planning on doing a 2 sided cut as well. (can the indexer be bought later? Might be good for wheels)

I use Autodesk Inventor to model and then I use their CAM software to get the toolpaths.

What do you think about the Shopbot Desktop for the competition is what I am getting at.
    That is exactly what we are doing this week and next! We are running our school-level races the second week of May - so we are doing most of the milling now.

I've in MAD love with my Shopbot desktop. I've looked at (and visited) quite a few out there... I highly recommend the machine and the company. There have been SO great to work with when I had questions. I wish there were more schools on these forums - but with the 3D printing madness going on, I think us CNC people are few and far between.

If you have room, you might want to run with the Desktop XL having the little extra room would be nice for other projects... but the Basic Desktop very has been great for us. I'll be ordering a second machine next year.

I have a few video's of us getting started and using the SP for robotics.
    http://physicsgonewild.wikispaces.co...ng+Things+Work

I'm going to make a F1 in Schools specific video next (working on it now) with a page like this for schools that will be participating in F1 in Schools next year along with us. We'll be hosting the state-level event next year.

Turns out, that quiet a few of our F1 models only needed one sided milling... and two sided milling was easy as it can be. This CNC machine runs circles around the Denforn 1000 (F1 in School's featured CNC machine). You just have to turn the model over yourself (rather than to have the machine do it). In all other aspects, the Shopbot Desktop is a MUCH MUCH better machine -and its a US company.

I hope that helps!

- Les/Savoy

Awesome Information!

Thanks!

Watching the videos and they are great!

Thanks for doing all this it is really helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by EngineeringTeach2016 View Post
    Missed this part - sorry.

We are using the Flashforge Creator Pro 3D printer for the airfoil (wings) and the wheels. To get the best performance you'll want to use some form of plastic - either the PITSCO blanks or their stock wheels, and use the wheel lathe to cut them down to spec. size. (that is what we do for most of the models.)

Quote Originally Posted by Savoy View Post
    Missed this part - sorry.

We are using the Flashforge Creator Pro 3D printer for the airfoil (wings) and the wheels. To get the best performance you'll want to use some form of plastic - either the PITSCO blanks or their stock wheels, and use the wheel lathe to cut them down to spec. size. (that is what we do for most of the models.)
    Cool I have an Afinia H480 3D printer that we will do our air foils and wheels on next year, another teacher in the competition told me the indexer would be good for truing up the wheels that you print so might want to look into that.

Just to share a little bit about my experience with the competition so far, had no idea how to use a CNC router or CAM when we began, had to self learn everything with my brother;

As you can see by our Jig lol, duct tape and a paint brush handle.

Due to the limitations of our Jig we had to cut both sides out of separate blocks and glue them together.

The final product didnt come out to shabby though and we beat our rival high school(they beat us in everything else basically) in the races, didn't advance but the students had alot of fun!

View My Video

Kyle,

It from your web page it looks like you are doing some great things.

I currently am working on training teacher in Texas with their ShopBots.
    I taught Const. Tech for 27 years and the last 10 I had ShopBots as well
    as purchasing my own Desktop 3 years ago. I developed a portable cart
    for my Desktop that you might be interested in duplicating (I have the files
    and some instructions).

Currently helping a teacher with his CO2 car, we both have Desktops with Indexers.
    Think of using Cut3D to do 4 sided machining. Any thoughts would be of help.

Was just up in Wisconsin last year. My brother lives near Mountain and we used to
    go to my uncle's cabin near Ladysmith.
    sb desktop cart with labels.jpg
    Brett Dickinson
    956-455-6153
    brettjdn@gmail.com

I have been thinking of making cars the same way but have never got to do it.
    Keep me posted.
    Nice cart, I have almost given up on moving mine.
    Kyle Stapleton
    River Falls Renaissance Academy
    Math/Technology Education Teacher

PRS Alpha 96x60 2.2 hp spindle, Double Air drills, 6" indexer, Fein 5 zone vac table
    Desktop w/spindle
    Potter Pen
    Aspire 8.5, Creo 3.0