Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What has happened to our creative postings?

I started reading here ??? 4-5 years ago??? (gotta look up my own sign up!) EDIT: signed up Oct 2010!

I don't post too much creativity wise.... I bought the CNC to replace a vendor who STUNK at quality and time commitments. He also stunk at reasonable pricing... HOWEVER--- I have done a few creative things with it, and what really thrills me are the personal projects. My son got very interested and stated doing grips for firearms. He is now doing epoxy infusing to reinforce the woods on those grips.... doing a lot of small projects. ( He is teaching me a bit about 3D work!!) And now my daughter - who just graduated college -is getting started with some creative projects and has done a few signs locally. And is working on some new ones. She is a great artist and is becoming a great CNC operator.

We need to probably post a few pics and descriptions to help inspire others.... but we definitely are stretching our bounds and hopefully there are others who are doing something similar out there! (And this forum is STILL the best darn thing I have ever come across in this sort of interest)

Thanks ya'll!

Monty

Seems to me this same topic has come up multiple times before from the same source over the past few years, with the same implied belittlement of certain classes of machine operators.

Tough to know what to say that hasn't been said before, I think there is room enough for all sorts of skill sets, interests, questions, ideas and passions, and this sort of argument/train of thought, whatever it is, is counter productive to all "classes" insofar as they day you stop learning is also the day you stop growing - And we already know there is no one who is ever going to know it all or even close to it.
    There is no "1 size fits all" in a brand specific forum like this, not really my place to say "perhaps your needs would be best fit elsewhere", but thats about what it seems like to me.
    Doug

Joe
    Its a good question I think this form has become boring .Its not like oh wow post where did they go .
    You are correct sign work is just as demanding and more than most kitchen work .I just used letterhead panel for my first real paying sign job .I'm also using the art work for v-grove panel .Which was a direct result from you also I miss the holy cow how did they do it .Also I have no time for some one learning posting as an expert

I followed Gene work almost from the beginning and see the progression
    I think also for everyone who buys a cnc 5 years later who is standing .One need to stay creative to stay in business right now where in a recession because of low oil prices kitchen shops in are area are closing or on the verge if you look at three work its all cookie cutter
    I 'm posting a picture I would have no know clue how to do with out your influence thanks Joe .Also for those just starting out read some of the old post
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm new here and fairly new to cnc. I didn't buy a cnc to start a big business, I got it for me, because it has interested me for many years.

After getting a cnc, you find out pretty quickly the difficulties of designing and getting the machine to do what you intend it to do.
    Being mostly a hobbyist, for now anyway, I would rather spend my money on materials to make projects, rather than ruining bits trying to figure out feeds and speeds just because I can't wait for a response to a question. The seasoned people have most of the answers that can help the new people and guide them, but some don't feel that they should waste their time. I appreciate those that are willing to take time from their schedule to help answer the mundane questions that get asked over and over.

I also like to see what people are capable of doing with a cnc, although, I'm not really astounded, it's a cnc. The impressive part is the design work that it takes to do certain things and the time involved in the design. To think that everyone should be a professional with a successful business creating the next best thing, is a bit discouraging. New people, including myself, won't post pics because we don't qualify as creative. We new people may not make something that impresses the older, more seasoned people, but we are proud of our achievements. EVERYONE started at the beginning.

As far as making signs, they all pretty much look the same. The font, colors, background, logo, image, etc. might change, but the concept is the same. Take the material of choice and cut the afore mentioned items and mount it. Living in a large city, signs are everywhere and they are all the same. Some have fonts that are very difficult to read and I don't even try to figure them out. A sign is a sign, just like a box is a box and there is only so much that can be done to it and it still looks like a box.

[ A sign is a sign, just like a box is a box and there is only so much that can be done to it and it still looks like a box.[/QUOTE]

8Ball,

I'm so glad you are on this forum!

Perhaps you would take the time to visit my website and let me know is a "Sign is A Sign." All looking the same. You have no idea what you're talking about!
    www.normansignco.com

Perhaps you would take the time to visit my website and let me know is a "Sign is A Sign." All looking the same. You have no idea what you're talking about!

I have seen your posts and pics of your signs. Not that they don't look good, but they are no different than the hundreds of signs in my area.
    There is nothing that distinguishes your signs from anyone else's. Signs have been made for so long, that they just get copied and repeated. There is nothing new in the sign manufacturing sector. We have 25 or so sign companies within a stone's throw from here. It comes down to price and lead time. They are all capable of making the same signs as the next.

Show us something innovative and persuade my opinion. A sign is what will attract the attention of potential customers to a business and it has one chance to leave an impression.

Now looking at your website, your profiles are repetitive as well as the wood grain texture. Nothing different than the millions of other signs that are seen on other websites, driving down the road, or seen at another manufacturer.

You asked the question and get defensive when you don't like the answers. There just isn't much of anything creative that hasn't been done in the sign world or it would be getting used.

I won't argue the point with you, it's my opinion and will continue to be, however, I will avoid expressing my opinion to your questions in the future.

Yow, Right:

Please show us something you think is creative. I'm looking forward to your future posts!

Hey Joe, doesn't look like the fishings to good here any more, and you don't have a bot so why don't you come back to the 3dsign place where you belong, lotsa new young sign folks asking qestions there.

Dan
    I took a peak the from look like its hoping also seeing Dan post is great to see

8 ball would love to see your work please post

Quote Originally Posted by danhamm View Post
    Hey Joe, doesn't look like the fishings to good here any more, and you don't have a bot so why don't you come back to the 3dsign place where you belong, lotsa new young sign folks asking qestions there.
    Agree Dan...

http://www.3dsignforum.com/forum/19-...vered-hdu-sign

http://www.3dsignforum.com/forum/1-3...e-step-by-step

8Ball should take a look..."I also like to see what people are capable of doing with a cnc, although, I'm not really astounded, it's a cnc. The impressive part is the design work that it takes to do certain things and the time involved in the design."

Design work...sure that is part of it but toolpath strategy is just as impressive...for us anyway as we produce some very challenging millwork parts with the router.

The info is out there...invest time trying to teach yourself, especially for the "feed-speed" question. Maybe I'm old school but I've always tried to teach myself. Read, read and read more, make mistakes and learn from those mistakes.

Joe is a true master...for those who are professionals we know this. The hobby comments show just how far they have to go to understand...

Vector Studio 22