Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What has happened to our creative postings?

Default What has happened to our creative postings?

It's such a shame we have so few creative postings showing what can be done. The forum has become so mundane with technical questions.

Perhaps that's the future but it's not very encouraging about what could be made. Once upon a time we had lots of creative work showing up. What's happened?

Joe, here’s my theory…

Many years ago, there was a time when computers were not ubiquitous… As a young man, I was excited about every new advance in personal computers. I regularly attended our local user group, “surfed” to various bulletin boards over my dialup modem and couldn’t wait to show what I had coaxed my computer to do! My children never knew a time where there was no word processor/Publisher, internet, Facebook, snapchat or Video games, their excitement level about computers is very low. My grandkids, who have school lessons and homework to do on their tablets aren’t enamored at all!

Just like computers, CNC fabrication was new and exciting for “us” we couldn’t wait to show our compatriots what we had done… We are getting old! The new kids on the block see the CNC tool as a standard tool, something no longer controversial because the Green brothers didn’t do it that way!

We are no longer excited about Tabitha Babbitt’s contribution to wood working, but accept her invention as ordinary… so too is what we were once very excited about!

By the way… I’m still excited about my computer and my ShopBot!
    SG

I understand.

So what's being done by wall those fellows and their CNC's? Are we reduced down to not making exciting visual projects? I think not. More than likely the artists and creative work is being done elsewhere.

There's a place for mundane questions like "Feeds and Speeds" or how to make standard routine products like knives, forks and spoons. Good for them but I'd rather go to work for Wallmart. That's not the work of the creative mind.

I have been on this forum only since 2013 so I don't know what was different in the "old times" but I have enjoyed the ideas and projects posted here even if I do not often post a reply and I find many of them "creative". Now, since this is the Sign Making section I suspect the Creatives here are mostly professionals and as Steve mentioned, the novelty of things doable with CNC may have worn off a bit. I bet there are still many people creating great sign work with or without CNC but maybe not posting on a CNC forum anymore.
    I am trying to contribute my wacky ideas occasionally here for entertainment purposes but I am not much of an artist and my creativity is more on the engineering side. But even if my stuff is sometimes not easy to replicate (or profitable for a business) maybe it triggers other ideas that can push the envelope for CNC.

GB,

Thanks for posting. Perhaps there was a time when lots of guys thought they would get into the sign business with a router. However the equipment isn't the answer. It takes a creative mind and talent. I've come to realize entering this trade one of the musts is to be able to draw. That the shorthand. Then you need to quickly become familiar with letter styles. The best fonts cost money.

A little hobby CNC is not the best entry level equipment needed. And if you start with low prices it will end up doing you in. For example Home Owners Assn's, Churches, or non-profits of all kinds are business killers. I've been saying for years, there are impoundments of money ready for the taking. That's where a new business owner needs to go. Go For The Money! So few people understand this. The new little Mom and Pop shop going into business, is likely, have limited fund. A better choice might be a new Law firm. Look around at Dental Clinics, Chiropractors, OBGYN Offices, Dr. Offices of all kinds or just anything that has to do with medicine can be good prospects. But you must be ready with the artwork and know what you're doing. Professional like these can spot a part timer a block away so you got to be on your toe's. A brochure or sample booklet can be helpful.

Here's a sample brochure from the past.
    What I intended to do with this page was to establish the business. This one seemed to work best of all I did. To make sure, I took out a second phone # which allowed me to know where the calls were coming from.

Attached Images Attached Images

Ive been here 4+ years now. It seems pretty much the same to me. Im not a sign guy, so I dont know if you are meaning the forum as a whole, or this sub forum only.

It is true that at the beginning (I got my machine and started posting in Feb 2012) I shared more of what I was working on, than I do now, even though I use the machine much more and for more varied work compared to the first year. However, when you are working long busy days, day after day, it isnt always on your mind to take photos and post on the forum (at least in my case). Also, some things just might not seem post worthy enough to bother with.

I still see enough new stuff here to make me check it out at least every few days.

The other thing is - this is a "Shopbot CNC forum", not a design and artistic specific forum. Knowing what feeds, speeds, cutters, hold down methods etc are all vitally important in respect to using your machine. I have never had an issue with people asking technical questions.. I think that is one of the more important aspects as many times learning from other's experience can be so beneficial. I know I have learned a lot from asking those types of "mundane" questions.

I'm relatively new to the forum, but for me they go hand in hand. The better you understand the technology and machine, the better it can be used in creative process. It's always cool to see the physical results of the problem solving that happens here.

Andrew,

I think your time frame is about right with regard to not much has changed in the past few years.

At this time there are few artists compared to years past. What we have now, for the most part are Hobby Guys. Without the artists as we once had there isn't the creative spirit going on. No, I'm not just talking about signs although it was a visual hotbed at one time.

Makes me no difference, if you guys are happy that works for me.

I cut my teeth in the sign trade with a Shopbot. Sixteen years ago I was a college art teacher and moved into the sign trade because I could see the power of dimensional work. Most of the 3d work was done by hand or through sandblasting. Twelve years ago when I purchased my Shopbot there were few routers on the market for the small shop. At that time if you had a CNC the gate was wide open. Customers were blown away with the idea their company name could be made with raised letters and logo's. And we didn't have HDU or PVC. It was a challenge to find long lasting panel material. None of us had Vectric or Aspire since it hadn't been invented.

Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by joe View Post
    ...At this time there are few artists compared to years past. What we have now, for the most part are Hobby Guys. Without the artists as we once had there isn't the creative spirit going on. No, I'm not just talking about signs although it was a visual hotbed at one time...
    But you make it sound like just "artists" and "creative types" should be posting here to make it interesting.

Remember for a moment, that many people who make cabinets, furniture, other misc. wood items buy and use these machines, and also need assistance from time to time, or just want to share ideas as well.

The artistic carving stuff is but one element of use of a CNC router. I take it you don't cut much plywood or melamine into cabinet case parts, or machine jig and fixture parts, or cutting boards, etc. However, a lot of people make a living doing these things and appreciate having a place specific to this brand of machine - to share ideas, ask questions, and get help when required.

I can appreciate it all - from a simple 2D cut out - to a complex 3D carving. Actually, some of the most valuable info I have gained was how to efficiently cut out flat parts from sheet stock. Not too artistic but somewhat necessary in my field. Maybe I look at things much differently being a general woodworker VS a sign maker. But for me, its all good!

Andrew,

Just the opposite is true. There are few artists or creative projects being posted. It takes just as much creative power in building cabinets and furniture as it takes for signs.

Thinking back when I started with the router I don't believe posting a request for help with feeds and speeds or which router bit would be best. The way to learn this stuff is to chuck up a bit and get it done. It seems that everyone is wanting a hand holding. Look I had to make Money. With a family to support and a wife in medical school there wasn't time to screw around asking questions I could solve in short order.

I like to make MONEY. Every project I take on is calculated in that way but you can't let down on the beautiful creative part of the job. When a client suggests they have a project but the budget is low I send them to someone else. It's a failure to ever lower one's price. That will haunt you. It's better to do a job for free and give it away.