Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cutting banjo/guitar necks etc on a Shopbot

Default Cutting banjo/guitar necks etc on a Shopbot

Been running 2 desktops for awhile now and we do inlay as a business and business is god but were buying a larger bot for neck and I don't know where to start. I think I need to get it laser scanned but after that is there anyone that might be willing to mentor me when the time comes?

Scanning technology changes so rapidly that a large investment may not be as beneficial as figuring out another means. What would you use the scanning for?

If it is a standard neck then chances are you can find it on the net as a 3D file already. Google is your friend....STL 3D gituar necks on Ebay also. There are plenty of sellers of 3D files already made on ebay.
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

Well, I am a banjo maker
    www.davisbanjosandinlay.com
    and I want to take one of my shaped necks and have it scanned so it will be like my necks that I make, and not just a generic neck

It surely can be scanned but I would try to find someone who can use Solidworks, Rhino or a similar CAD software and model it from your banjo necks' drawings or measurements. It is probably cheaper and then you can modify and tweak it easily in the future for different models. If you just scan it, modifications are cumbersome and there is always a possibility of scanning flaws that must be manually ironed out if you don't want a pimple on your neck...

If you don't mind the expense of the CAD software and (significant) learning curve you can do it yourself but that would only make sense it you use it more often. A quick Google of "Banjo Neck 3d model" showed several promising links with more info.

Once you have the model (scanned or direct design) you can cut it with a 2-sided flip or more elegant on an indexer.
    Last edited by Burkhardt; 04-18-2016 at 12:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by banjomanwv View Post
    Well, I am a banjo maker
    www.davisbanjosandinlay.com
    and I want to take one of my shaped necks and have it scanned so it will be like my necks that I make, and not just a generic neck
    The easiest solution would be to contact Brady on this forum as thats his main business. Hope this helps.
    Buddy BT48 with 6' power stick
    2.2 HSD Spindle
    Aspire 9.5
    6" ShopBot Indexer

I scanned a rifle stock scanned for i think around $400.00.
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

Why not use the Shopbot probe
    Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life.

Its not long enough, a banjo heel is about 3 inches tall or more and im thinking the collet part of the machine would hit the side of the banjo necks when trying to probe something that tall

I routinely scan necks for all string instruments, bodies etc. If you want it done right, contact me off list. If you want to flounder with a probe or consumer grade scanner, you should ask yourself why.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com