Thread: Simple Key Chain Idea

Default Simple Key Chain Idea

I am considering having kids make a simple key chain type item on the shotbot. My thought is that it would be made out of plastic, maybe 1/8" or 1/4" thick plastic and do some light engraving on it. Can anyone recommend the type of plastic that would work best? I am guessing speed needs to be very slow so the plastic does not weld. Any other tips and tricks would be appreciated. Thanks!

How bout white corian and then let them carve a small picture or initials that when you look at it (holding it in your hand) you don't see much but when you hold it up to a light the image is revealed, sort of like a mini lithopane

Kora,
    Consider trying one of the florescent plastics like Acrylite FL , made by the CYRO company. It cuts easily, and fast. And once you have engraved something it gives the appearance of being lit by some unseen source.PLUS you'll be able to do each piece fast enough to keep their attention.....Most sign supply houses carry it, and you can get a LOT of small pieces out of one sheet..
    Here's a picture I usually show at the Camps...
    51831.jpg

There is something to this plastic stuff.
    My wife bought a night lite we've had for 18 years. I love it because it works good. What is unique about it is the polished beveled edges. It almost works like a fresnel lens in a light house. It is cast plastic. It has some little tree thingy designed into it.
    We'd love to find more and we have never found one since! If they were personalized so much the better!

The only thing I hate is plugging cheap stuff like this into the wall. As a volunteer fire fighter...so many people lose their home to cheap stuff plugged into walls particularly Glade air fresheners.

We were talking about insurance....making electrical products for people may be risky business?

Still...these things are cool. A very pretty blue light. (I can't believe I just said that?)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by navigator7; 03-20-2010 at 11:47 AM. Reason: Removal of oversized jpg.