Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2004 Benchtop PRT w/2.2KW spindle, Laptop, everything needed!

Default 2004 Benchtop PRT w/2.2KW spindle, Laptop, everything needed!

For sale. 2004 Benchtop PRT with 2.2KW spindle. $5500. I love this Machine and I am reluctant to sell. It is priced with this in mind.This listing includes everything you need and is already setup to go with many upgrades. Everything is in perfect working order and has been very well maintained. I can break it down and -freight- ship it. (without the wood frame housing). Buyer pays shipping cost from Hillsborough NC.

The cutting area of the ShopBot Benchtop is 32'' x 24'' x 6''. It requires a table size of 48'' x 22'' or larger with a static overhang and clearance for operation of 52'' x 48''. The ShopBot Benchtop weighs 275 lbs. Motion specifications are a step resolution of +/- .001'', accuracy in heavy cutting of +/- .015'', cutting speeds to 1.75'' per minute, and move speeds to 3'' per second.

The ShopBot Benchtop is perfect for production operations, crafts, sign-making, modeling, and a wide variety of woodworking projects.
    Uses standard ShopBot Accesories and can do any operation of a full-sized ShopBot.

Comes with:
    -2014 Lenovo laptop with Shopbot control software
    -2.2KW spindle and inverter. (spindle has been used for about 4 hours of running time) 220v single phase required.
    -1/2", 1/4", and 1/8" collets for the spindle

-Shopbot Benchtop Steel stand
    -
    Porter Cable 7518 router and mount.
    -Shopbot 3D digitizing Probe!
    -Local pickup can get the wood frame housing and computer stand that makes the cables and dust collection nice and tidy.

Attached Images Attached Images

Well, I feel depressed. As a Benchtop PRT owner myself and also considering selling as I have two other machines, I think it's important to emphasize the differences between the general stock setup and where yours is now. If you don't mind listing all the upgrades/mods you've done, I would certainly be curious. Here is what I've gathered so far from the pics/info. Feel free to correct inaccuracies.

1. The obvious and already mentioned 2.2KW spindle with VFD. (Not sure what kind of spindle), but also includes the PC 7518 router and mount so you can use the machine while waiting on a 220V setup if needed. For those using machines in basements/garages with neighbors nearby, spindles are magnitudes quieter than the router.
    2. The steppers are appear to be the closed loop (prt alpha) ASM911AA's. This is going to bump up your originally listed speeds of 1.75" cut / 3" jog considerably and increase resolution. The standard PRT benchtop can cut/jog in the range you listed.
    3. And as such, the control box is also a step up as seen in the last picture to a nice aluminum control box (vs the original control box that was built into a standard ATX computer case) and naturally has the significantly more powerful "detached" drivers vs the original benchtop PRT standard that uses stepper drivers that are integrated on the Interface board and required tuning down the 48v PSU to 44v .
    4. E-track cable carrier addition vs the standard plastic arch that bends over the machine for cable management and usually ended up breaking.
    5. Later addition Z axis design that uses springs instead of a spring steel coil.
    6. A big one that I didn't even know existed....the Benchtop Steel Stand?!? Was that a secondary purchase or offered at the time those machines were sold? I wonder what that cost at the time. This is the first I've seen of it and I really wish I had it as people need to understand something here. When we talk about desktop/benchtop cnc routers today, people are thinking of machines similar to the desktop/DT Max/etc. Calling a 300lb all Steel CNC a "benchtop", doesn't necessarily put the right picture in people's head. However, in terms of rigidity, which is a key metric for any machine, you don't see a lot out there like this, and I think that gives it an edge for certain applications. I can understand why you dig it so much.

From what I see in comparing that to me machine, this looks like a PRT Alpha and not an upgraded standard.
    2005 PRT Alpha 48x96
    2013 Colombo 3hp spindle
    Indexer (converted lathe)
    Aspire 9.0

Thanks MaxFrenzy! Yes too all of your observations about upgrades, and thanks for jumping in here! I honestly don't know a whole lot about the original specs of these compared to what I have. Did Shopbot make a PRT alpha? I just got really lucky when I bought it in 2008. The closed loop steppers,upgraded control box, and stand were part of the machine when I purchased it back then. The stand is about 100lbs by itself and really does make this a much more stable/sturdy machine. (it is probably closer to 400lbs with the stand!)

I installed the spindle. It is an air cooled Huan Yang spindle and inverter. I know that you can find mixed reviews of these but it is profoundly more accurate, powerful, and orders of magnitude quieter than the Porter cable. I installed the E-track after I broke 2 of those convoluted arch cable holders... I had some time while my new (larger with tool changer!) machine was being built...

Quote Originally Posted by barrowj View Post
    From what I see in comparing that to me machine, this looks like a PRT Alpha and not an upgraded standard.
    Yeah that seems to be the case..i.e. sold originally as a Benchtop PRT Alpha. While larger PRTs come up for sale on a pretty regular basis, you don't see too many benchtops being sold, and at least for me personally, this is the first benchtop PRT alpha I've seen. So in terms of actual upgrades, it would seem that only the spindle/VFD and the e-chain would have been the later additions (ignoring his enclosure setup). Sound right?

That sounds right. I guess my headline should say... 32"x24" PRT Alpha (will fit on large benchtop without the awesome stand) with spindle and E-chain upgrades for sale!

Quote Originally Posted by wes_lambe View Post
    For sale. 2004 Benchtop PRT with 2.2KW spindle. $5500. I love this Machine and I am reluctant to sell. It is priced with this in mind.This listing includes everything you need and is already setup to go with many upgrades. Everything is in perfect working order and has been very well maintained. I can break it down and -freight- ship it. (without the wood frame housing). Buyer pays shipping cost from Hillsborough NC.

The cutting area of the ShopBot Benchtop is 32'' x 24'' x 6''. It requires a table size of 48'' x 22'' or larger with a static overhang and clearance for operation of 52'' x 48''. The ShopBot Benchtop weighs 275 lbs. Motion specifications are a step resolution of +/- .001'', accuracy in heavy cutting of +/- .015'', cutting speeds to 1.75'' per minute, and move speeds to 3'' per second.

The ShopBot Benchtop is perfect for production operations, crafts, sign-making, modeling, and a wide variety of woodworking projects.
    Uses standard ShopBot Accesories and can do any operation of a full-sized ShopBot.

Comes with:
    -2014 Lenovo laptop with Shopbot control software
    -2.2KW spindle and inverter. (spindle has been used for about 4 hours of running time) 220v single phase required.
    -1/2", 1/4", and 1/8" collets for the spindle

-Shopbot Benchtop Steel stand
    -
    Porter Cable 7518 router and mount.
    -Shopbot 3D digitizing Probe!
    -Local pickup can get the wood frame housing and computer stand that makes the cables and dust collection nice and tidy.

Hi Wes,
    I'm new to the site and cnc so please excuse any wrong terminology I use. Questions I have are.....
    Do you still have it for sale?
    Does it have a 4th axis?
    If not, what is the largest 4th axis setup that will fit on the unit?
    I have seen accessories like a laser cutter and a 3D printer head on some units, can these items be add easily or would major modifications be needed?
    I live in the Charlotte area and can pick up, can we get this in and out of a pickup truck without the use of a fork flit ?
    That's all for now, I'm sure I'll have more questions later.
    Thanks Lou

Hi Lou,
    It is still available! There is no 4th axis. I am not aware of a 4th axis option for this. I only have used it for 2D and 3D routing/carving. It works perfectly for these applications. You may be able to retrofit a laser cutter or 3d printer head to it. Since it can be programmed for X Y Z movement I am guessing that this could be made to work?... I don't know what it would take to do it though! It will go into and out of a truck no problem. I moved it with 2 people with ramps and dollies (painfully...) 4 people can pretty easily lift it when it is detached from the base.

Priced to sell now. $4750
    Attached Images Attached Images

Priced to move now! Need the space!! $4000