Thread: F1 in Schools

Default F1 in Schools

Wanted to link the thread from the indexer subforum as it has alot of great information about F1 in Schools and the the Shopbot.

http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/sho...ol-and-Indexer

Taught 27 years; 10 years with ShopBots; have my own Desktop and will be getting an indexer;

Assisting other teachers with their ShopBots, especially Texas

Where do you teach?

Brett Dickinson
    Cedar Park, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Dickinson View Post
    Taught 27 years; 10 years with ShopBots; have my own Desktop and will be getting an indexer;

Assisting other teachers with their ShopBots, especially Texas

Where do you teach?

Brett Dickinson
    Cedar Park, Texas
    Hey Brett, I teach in Kyle, Texas. About to start working on the F1 in schools competition again this year.

Quick question, where do you get mounts and jigs that hold down the blocks of wood when cutting with the shopbot desktop? Do I have to devise the mounts myself?

Quote Originally Posted by EngineeringTeach2016 View Post
    Hey Brett, I teach in Kyle, Texas. About to start working on the F1 in schools competition again this year.

Quick question, where do you get mounts and jigs that hold down the blocks of wood when cutting with the shopbot desktop? Do I have to devise the mounts myself?
    Those came with the setup CD at one point, but when we got our machine those files where no longer on the USB. I contacted support and they found the files and sent them to me. If you have trouble finding them, let me know and I can send you a copy of my set, I'm sure they wouldn't mind.

For our F1 project those jigs didn't work - at all. I tried several things but the one that seemed to work the best was to make a jig the size of the block out of pine 2x4s. Then I did a two sided cut on the machine.

Though I have a 4th axis, it just wasn't worth the time to try and figure out. The kids really seemed to understand the concept of a two sided cut once they saw it.

I took some pictures but I can't seem to find them now. If I do I'll post them - but the jig was just several pieces of pine formed tightly fit the F1 block screwed into the spoiler board. It wasn't anything fancy at all - just made from my scrap pile. It worked just great.

Take care! Savoy/Les

Little Rock