Thread: Questions about 3D work

University of North Dakota, Grand Forks North Dakota

Default Questions about 3D work

We were able to bring in a PRT96 this semester at the department where I teach. I have in the last few days been playing around with the PW program and have been sucessful at making a few signs using the Vcarve fonts and a few other simple vector drawings. Very interesting machine.

However, since I teach AutoCAD I would also like to integrate the ShopBot into an AutoCAD lesson, and have my students create a file and than cut it on the ShopBot. How difficult is this to do with a 3D image? I have heard that it isn't too hard to do with 2D, which is probably what I will go with initially; however, can it be done using just AutoCAD and PW for the conversions? We do have MasterCAM in the department, but I would still like to do this with just AutoCAD for now if possible.

Also, for 3D work, what would the best program be to purchase down the road. I am interested in going beyond just signs and moving into architectural carvings down the road. Any information would be appreciated.

Regards,

Alex Johnson
    University of North Dakota
    Department of Technology

Alex,

3D is not really more difficult, just more time-consuming. If you can produce an STL file in AutoCAD, you can get started in 3D with : http://www.mecsoft.com/Mec/Products/FreeMill.shtml . FreeMill is pretty much the equivalent of MillWizard. If you want more flexible/efficient machining strategies then FreeMill, you will need to lay out some serious cash.

-Kevin

I don't know, Cut3D from Vectric does a pretty good job and I don't consider it "serious cash". You can download and try it free from Vectric.com

Robert

Alex, I have a couple of the other products that Vectric has, and I don't think there is a better product than they offer. I would try the Cut3D and play with it a while. I don't think you will look any farther.

James

Alex,
    For the time being, Cut3D is a great choice for CAM software. It will not manipulate, smooth or otherwise change the shapes of any 3D file that you bring into it. It is very powerful and will allow you to do single, double or 4-sided machining of your AutoCAD parts. It will also allow you to machine on a larger scale by allowing you to slice (in Z direction) larger 3D files and use either a single or double sided strategy.

Going forward, if you want to use a package that creates, manipulates and machines 3D models, ArtCAM is a great choice. Since you are an educational facility, contact SB for details on special educational pricing. It is a great package for sculpting and merging 3D designs into flowing reliefs.

Both programs are excellent for their intended use, and it wouldn't be fair to do a 1:1 comparison between the two.

-B

University of North Dakota, Grand Forks North Dakota

I've looked at ArtCAM for awhile, it didn't fit into the budget the last time around, but I will definitely try and get a license for it next year, along with a spindle drive and vacuum table for the machine. I did download some of the programs mentioned above and will play with them this week. Thanks for all the info.

Regards,

Alex Johnson