Thread: Could using a "merged toolpath" cause a problem

Question Could using a "merged toolpath" cause a problem

So, I created a toolpath to cut out several parts. There are internal slots and holes, one pocketed area, and one slot.

I created four toolpaths. One for the pocketed area, where I choose "inside" on the cutting parameter, one toolpath for the interior holes where I also chose inside, the toolpath for the slot I chose "on the line", as I wanted it the diameter of the cutting tool, and the final one was to cut out the pieces, where I chose "outside".

Because I didn't like the tool having to go back to 0,0 in-between each toolpath, I merged them and cut out individual parts.

However, some of the dimensions are spot on, and some are quite off. For example, I have one part that is basically under-sized by the diameter of the cutting tool, which would indicate that it was cut "on" the line, rather than outside. But, that cut was originally part of the same toolpath that cut another part that is correct.

Can merging toolpaths with different inside-outside-on parameters screw up what is applied to what?

Thanks.

Andy

Correction: I don't pick "Inside" when pocketing.....

I would check the box beside my merged toolpath which will show the cutter's position and direction in relation to the vector. Down at the bottom right of the toolpathing page is an option to show the toolpath as a "Solid" check that and you should see the exact position of the cutter over the entire job. I don't want to be presumptuous and assume you haven't studied the Vectric manual, but I go back to the "Help" section of the program all the time and go back over the instructions again as I am doing the job. Hope this is of some help....joe

To be honest, I have been winging it. I've worked with CNC for a long while in the past, but new to ShopBot and Vectric. I have NOT read every line of the manual.

With that said, I did go over it in the "Solid" mode, and it shows it's perfect. But, what was cut does not match the drawing dimensions. And the weird thing is, it is inconsistent. You'd think if it undercut one dimension, it would undercut ALL of them. Doesn't seem to be the case, though.

Sounds like your material moved on the table. Or there is a mechanical problem with the machine. A loose set screw on a motor perhaps.