Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bringing old signs back to life

Good to here Joe. I will have to try Ronan's primer. I haven't had much luck with primers, maybe the Ronan will work. I will not buy another paint product from any Rustoleum brand and Sherwin Williams hasn't been much better. I make a lot of wood signs as you know and some of these companies don't put enough solids in to bother painting them on.
    By the way I will be at Eufaula Lake this next weekend at my sisters cottage. Wish I had time to drive over and see you and your neighbor.

Bob,

That primer is heavy and the solids quickly sink to the bottom. I cut this primer with around 30% with paint thinner. Even at that dilution it maintains it's color trapping qualities. Another advantage to this dilution is it flows out better.

Joe

This is actually my first refurbish project. I have been in the sign business since I was 15. Worked for a shop for 8 years before I started on my own. I have had my bot since 2001. It has been a long road, and I mean I moved my business 800 miles because my wife said it would be better to move closer to her family. A lot has changed in the last 10 years since I moved to GA.

I am excited about the future though. I am realizing I need to find more work like this. I am getting bored with the "fastsigns" mentality that I was taught way back in the day.

My plan is to finish all these entrances and then look for more projects like it. This job is more fun on the first sign than anything I have done in years, so to me its simple. Find more of this work and show photos of completed work and have working samples. I still have a long way to go.

Thanks Joe and Bob for your advice.

Dave
    Last edited by David Iannone; 05-16-2016 at 10:44 PM.

I cut out a vinyl letter today to see if my scale was right on my trace of my picture. Not exactly correct, but I am about to make adjustments and retry a new test letter tomorrow.

The paint I used was what my local small hardware store recommended and sold me.

I am still learning but he said oil base primer, latex over that. So far it looks good but also I have scraped at it, picked at it, and tried to see it I could get the paint or primer to chip off but it is holding good.

Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by David Iannone; 05-16-2016 at 10:55 PM.

I'm with you on the finishing process.

Bringing one of these old signs back to life requires several techniques seldom used. For example there is the technique of filling cracks and fishers along with choosing the proper primer. Sometimes a panel will have a warp and needs cleats applied to back. But when all finished up they can look as good as new. I've even split signs in half length wise, with the table saw, to replace sections.

The question for those interested about price is it comes in at half that of a new sign.

For those interested in this type of work, here is Joe's original post on this subject.

http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/sho...igns+back+life

I asked Steve to step in the photo for scale. You may notice the parts are not that large and are stuck together with Great stuff insulation foam. The assembly goes quick. Putting these animals together isn't all that difficult and the foam is easily shaped with a rasp if needed.

One photo is showing Jocelyn's wax model. The full sized elephant stands in the background. A few years ago, before the scanner and router, artists had to make these animals with chicken wire and paper-mache. The real trick was getting the proportions correct. That process is still being used today but soon will probably take it's place in history.

www.WildlifeBronzes.com

I'm amazed two guys built this 3D router equipment and put together the company Synopssys. It's nothing fancy but the product is amazing. The bit travels approx 2' horizontally while the vertical movement is about 4'. But the magic which brings the whole thing together is done in the scanning. That signal is the heart of the process.

progress, but I was supposed to reinstall the first one today. But turns out it is my 41st birthday today and I locked the door a little early, but I am going to finish this first refurbish by the end of the weekend. I communicated it with my customer and they can't wait to see the first one reinstalled......

Happy Birthday, you deserve to take a day off.

Looks like you're getting the hang of this process. If you're considering using vinyl for the letters I'd suggest considering using DiBond. It's one of my favorite lettering material for this kind of work.

Looks like you're holding up this end of the Shopbot forum. Since most of the participants posting are Hobby minded there's little chance they will be contributing creative sign work. Keep up the good work.

The section dedicated to sign work has been one of the main places for creative artists. Without the creative postings, like yours, look what we have.

Joe

Thanks Joe,

All the black borders and lettering are black. Well about two months ago I sheared up 3- 4x8 sheets of black .040 aluminum at 16" x 96" and it was supposed to be 17"x 96". What a dumb mistake......When this job got approved they went from green border and text to black border and text. I thought to myself....Yep that why ya save all your mistakes.

I'm using up all my scrap black for all the borders and smaller letters. once I use up all my black scrap .040 alum I am absolutely switching to dibond. The hills will be cut from .040 alum and overlaid with oracal 9 year cast tan vinyl.

I've been redrawing the letters in flexisign today and importing to aspire and cutting on the bot. going great. I missed yeatserday cause I had a little too much fun on my birthday friday.....LOL

I am about to lock up for the day, my brother in law said he was going bass fishing 5:00 to dark, and I said yeah I want to go. It will be very close but I will be in tomorrow AM and get back on it and should have it installed tomorrow afternoon and will post pics.

Thanks again for your help on this one.

Dave