Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ShopBot Desktop Died

Default ShopBot Desktop Died

Hello, I was in the middle of doing something with my ShopBot Desktop and all of a sudden, I got an error message saying something happened and I needed to check the cables and wiring. I figured-out that the breaker in he shop flipped hence cutting the power to the tool. It's on 220.

So, I put the breaker back on - tested it with another tool in the shop to make sure the socket is actually "on" and and the ShopBot isn't coming back on - I checked the wire and it seems fine, everything is on the but the bot is as good as unplugged while plugged.

Is there a breaker somewhere in the ShopBot Desktop that needs resetting?
    --------------
    Founder of CNCKing.com (Project files for your ShopBot Table Router) and CNCROi.com (Custom CNC Shop)

I don't know if the desktops are different then the regular control boxes but when i fist got my bot i plunged my bit into the table and the gantry wouldn't stop until it blew 2 fuses located in my control box. I would certainly think that every box has some type of fuses.
    These were not typical fuses i could go to the box store and get though. I had to find a specialty electronics store for the right fuse.
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

Thanks - my guess is that it's either a fuse or the power supply. ShopBot Tech got back to me btw, just figuring out what it is and then I'll post an update here to others with similar problems have something else to check on if it happens to them.

Jon
    --------------
    Founder of CNCKing.com (Project files for your ShopBot Table Router) and CNCROi.com (Custom CNC Shop)

Well I'll be damned, this morning, start the machine and everything is fine... landlord is an electrician so I asked him to check the ShopBot over and as soon as I plugged it back in, it booted up! He told me that there is sometimes a delay in the system for a few minutes after a power spike - in my case, it was a few hours.

Jon
    --------------

Since the last message, the ShopBot died 3 more times, sometimes boots right back up, other times - like now - nothing. It didn't set off the shop breaker though but since doing that time, can't cut for more than 10 minutes without the shopbot shutting down on me during cutting.

Jon
    --------------

I'm just fishing here, but...during the 3 times it died what was the time interval between each time it died? Was it random? Did it die at the same point in cutting a file? Could it possibly be something is overheating in your box? Could you try setting up a fan to blow on/in the box to see if that might be an issue?
    When you say "die" do you mean the power just stops to the unit? Could it be a static electricity issue? What material are you cutting? MDF?
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

It happens randomly in no set area of the design or time. The entire machine just stops (powers off) and I get a pop-up saying "check cables etc." as the machine is no longer recognized. I'm cutting through oak, I tried last time with a brand new bit going extremely shallow so wickedly underkill just to see if maybe it was stress and it died all the same. It is hooked-up to a 220 3-prong so the machine is grounded by default.

I did make a dozen units before this started happening, so I know the design was fine and I was going 3x faster going a lot deeper per pass without problem.

I also did a spindle-warm-up routine each time just incase something wasn't aligned - as of now, the machine still hasn't "turned on" so just waiting for who knows what to work again so that it does.

Jon
    --------------

I'd do a continuity test on all power cord leads [2 or 3, depending on ground].

I had a power cable go out on me and couldn't figure it out because an electricity sniffer showed it was getting juice ... Turned out one of the wires in the cord failed, so it was still testing as hot but not passing juice [if that makes sense], but it would be a simple thing to rule out.
    Doug

You most likely have a power supply problem within the machine. The steppers run on a DC voltage and it could vary depending on when the machine was made. There is a power supply inside of the machine that supplies this voltage and possibly other voltages needed by the computer parts.

What you are describing is a classic failure mode for a desktop computer power supply. FWIW the most likely component within the supply would be a capacitor.

Why are you running a desktop on 220? They come wired for 110 from the factory and, at least mine, runs just great on it.

Had an electrician come in to check the machine over, he's come to the conclusion that it's most likely the power supply as well. Will post update once I have it.

Jon
    --------------