Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ShopBot Desktop Died

Electrician opened-up the power supply, did tests, all is OK, so put it back in the machine and now it's working again (???) while right before, nothing. Will see how long this lasts... I also used compressed air to clean everything on the machine, incase some dust got in somewhere causing issues, also added WD40 to the rails an pins - again, just to make sure nothing is in there that I can't see which is causing the engine to overload.

Jon
    --------------
    Founder of CNCKing.com (Project files for your ShopBot Table Router) and CNCROi.com (Custom CNC Shop)

Originally my ShopBot Desktop was 110 but then I moved to Australia, so Shopbot changed the set-up to 220, I then moved back to Canada a few years later and got my own shop, 220 was in the shop so saw no reason to go back to 110, besides, 220 is more efficient with an industrial spindle.

Jon
    --------------
    Founder of CNCKing.com (Project files for your ShopBot Table Router) and CNCROi.com (Custom CNC Shop)

That was short lived like last time - 3 minutes after warm-up routine, died again.

Jon
    --------------

My shopbot is 220 so that is probably not the issue. Could it be your USB port or line? Do you think it is a communication issue or a power issue? Do you have a way to check the temperature inside the box, like with a laser temperture gauge or? Then ask shopbot what the regular operating temperature should be.
    I have operated mine in a hot shop in the summer with no issues. I think you need to determine first if it is a communications issue or temperature issue first.
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

I replied but somehow didn't show-up - this might be a double post.

No, 220 wouldn't be the issue, it has run at that power for years without issue in +40C in Perth, Australia to below 0C during a Canadian winter. Right now, I don't think it's USB related at all, don't see how that could flip a breaker and shut a whole machine down randomly mid-stream. Static electricity is an interesting idea but don't know how to rule that out as the set-up hasn't changed before and "now" so I'd think that would be an issue earlier as of now. Shop is kept around 15-20C year round so don't think it's overheating - especially from a cold start.

Jon
    --------------

Jon...
    Next time it dies, get out the multimeter. There should be 200V AC across the line (L1, L2) or (L, N) terminals AND 48V DC across the DC out terminals. If there is no voltage at either, problem is before the PS. If there is 220, but no 48, then the problem IS the power supply. If there is both, problem is after the power supply. Make sure you set the AC and DC volts properly for each test
    Gary Campbell
    GCnC Control
    GCnC411(at)gmail(dot)com
    Servo Controller Upgrades
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1

"We can not solve our problems with the same level of thinking that created them"
    Albert Einstein

Do I understand you to be saying the breaker pops everytime it quits? If so I'd be thinking first power problem instead of a shopbot problem. Breakers can get weak and pop easily so possibly replace it or checking grounds in the panel.
    Ken Zey
    Lookout Mercantile / Digital Millwork
    Rogers, AR
    www.CedarSlabSigns.com
    www.lookoutmercantile.com
    www.digitalmillwork.com

6x12 PRS alpha

Hi Gary, will check it out - right now it's down for the count completely - I'm letting it rest.

Ken, the breaker popped 2x during the shutdown and didn't two other times - the machine just went completely dead. It's a "new" electrical panel installed Dec 2015 by a master electrician and the machine has been hooked-up to that since then without issue. Each 220 has its own line fed from a main line to the breaker so there aren't any shared connection, one machine per breaker.

I generally have our Trotec Speedy 400 flexx working with it's own extraction system (ShopBot has a 3 hp dust system while laser vents outside using separate 2 hp unit) so I'm by no means overloading the juice available in the shop which was my thought initially. Sometimes the 80 gallon industrial air compressor kicks in and a bunch of other stuff and I've never ran out of juice.

Jon
    ps: just plugged it back in and everything is working again (???) and nothing changed from a few hours ago. This time I'll hook it up to another 220 socket.
    --------------

During warm-up routine, noticed two red lights - pic attached.

WP_20160509_17_01_43_Pro(1).jpg

Jon
    --------------

on my DT the power supply has a green LED when there is power to the machine , if the emergency switch is turned off or no power to DT no green light , maybe check for loose or broken wires to switch , I also have red lights on back of DT ,the one on the left does not show in picture but there is a red glow there
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ArtCam Pro 9
    VCarve Pro 8