Thread: Green Ebony?

Default Green Ebony?

I am working on a project with ebony inlays in Birch (plywood, that is). So far so good, but when sanding the inlays flush understandably some black/brown dust got trapped in the birch pores and crevices. No problem I thought and tried to wipe it off with a rag and acetone. Bad mistake. Looks like the wood oils when diluted with the solvent make big greenish smudges. I got most of that sanded out but in a few places I had to stop to not go through the first ply.

It is not a show stopper for the project since the remaining smudges are small but I am somewhat miffed about that.

1-DSC00577-001.JPG

Well it's live and learn for all of us. I might try bleaching. Not on your finished piece though. Could you make a little test sample, having the same green tinge, then with a small brush dab on a little diluted house hold bleach. I often use Oxaliac Acid for bleaching but all of this should to be tested. One problems is, as you know, water swells wood and you might not have enough material left after sanding.

Good luck and let us know what you decide to do.

How I avoid things liujke this is to spray a coating on the birch to seal it then do glue my inlay in. This gives yo a protective surface on the birch or other wood. I also do dry fit and sand the bottom to get it closes then glue in. npt sure if that was oil in the wood that done that or if it was wood that had been pressure dyed and sold to you as green ebony??
    Quote Originally Posted by Burkhardt View Post
    I am working on a project with ebony inlays in Birch (plywood, that is). So far so good, but when sanding the inlays flush understandably some black/brown dust got trapped in the birch pores and crevices. No problem I thought and tried to wipe it off with a rag and acetone. Bad mistake. Looks like the wood oils when diluted with the solvent make big greenish smudges. I got most of that sanded out but in a few places I had to stop to not go through the first ply.

It is not a show stopper for the project since the remaining smudges are small but I am somewhat miffed about that.

www.tgdesigns.net
    eking1953@yahoo.com

HE WHO WORKS WITH HIS HANDS IS A LABORER.
    HE WHO WORKS WITH HIS HANDS AND HEAD IS A CRAFTSMAN.
    HE WHO WORKS WITH HIS HANDS, HIS HEAD AND HIS HEART IS AN ARTIST.
    ST. FRANCIS OF ASSISI