Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need a little help

Alex: Delcam, the makers of Artcam, have been known to contribute to educational programs. It would be worth your while to investigate this with them.

Dave

University of North Dakota, Grand Forks North Dakota

Thankyou for all your responses, I'll need to look at the different size models again, a 4'x4' might just be the ticket. I'm also very interested the possibility of using g-code with this machine (though I have two Emco machining centers that I can use also). It's good to know that there is this kind of support available, I'll be using this machine for instruction in the Spring 2007 semester and probably won't manage to get it in and installed until late October, I'm definitely going to be busy this semester. Thanks again, I'm sure I'll have many more questions in time.

Regards,

Alex Johnson

I seem to have lots of questions tonight. I was looking at the 3D Digitizing Probe option that is offered for the Shopbot system and I am wondering if anyone has any experience with this accessory?

Regards,

Alex Johnson

Alex, I myself have just gotten a system installed in my high school. If you are ever in Wisconsin let me know and I can show it to you. I would highly suggest getting the full 96 inch version though. For the little bit of savings, to me it wasn't worth it. You will be surprised at all the projects which come out of the woodwork (pun intended) for you to do. I have not taught a day with the kids yet this year and I already have about a weeks worth of "hey could you do . . ." projects.

I myself got the alpha. With the rate at which technology is changing I find no reason to take a step back. My brand new machine will be outdated soon enough. Plus there are some other things which are problems with the PRT that are not an issue with the alpha --like manually moving the cars. This can cause controllers to go poof with a PRT but Chris at Shopbot has assured me this will not be an issue with my alpha as that has been corrected. That is important to me because as you and I both know the first thing that students want to do with a new machine like that is play with it and that will probably include manually puching the carriages.

If you want to get ahold of me feel free to email me at slarya@albany.k12.wi.us

Alex, I have a digitizer probe and it works very well. It can be finicky at times but I believe the newer model has optical internals instead of electric contacts which should make it more trouble free. I have used it quite a bit. Don't expect to digitize a large surface at high resolutions unless you can run it for days on end. Luckily you can usually get away with digitizing smaller parts of repeating patterns or use lower resolution for rough shapes. I've been happy with mine and have pulled off some seemingly impossible reproductions using it.

Alex,
    I have the digitizer probe alsofor my prt96 and it works OK and I have the new one for the ALPHA and I love it ,I dont use it much but its great when I do.
    As far as the 96 vs bench top????? I think bigger is allways better.
    The other not so obvious things you might need is the dust skirt and the stop sensors, and a half quarter and eigth inch collets foor the router.

John
    If money is going to be an over riding problem, don't ignore the 'knitting needle', aluminium foil approach. You can be set up for a couple of dollars.
    For other posters, look at John's first message, where he say he wants to get set up for under $10000. If this includes everything, he is going to have to be very selective

............Mike

The 10,000 was a wish, but I do have ways of getting additional funding if I need to. It's kind of looking like the ALPHA might be desirable. I had 43 students in my manufacturing class last spring and since I won't be getting more than one Shopbot, maybe speed is a factor I need to take into account.

Regards,

Alex Johnson

I would not go any smaller then the 96" alpha, I would suggest if you have a welding shop at the school to make your own table. ShopBot has very good plans and you can save allot of monry by doing this yourself. I had mine built loaclly and saved over $1250. plus I had some changes made to allow for large pieces of wood on one side.

Alex, I don't have much new info to offer, but wanted to say Hi! I went to UND in the early 90's. If I still lived there, it would be fun to help get this set up.

Go Sioux! ;)