Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dust collction

Default Dust collction

I will be picking up a 60x96 alpha tommorow from shopbot and curious as to what types of dust collection everyone is using. I will be cutting all types of materials wood plastic aluminum hdu as it will get used mainly for signs. B

Quote Originally Posted by xtreme872 View Post
    I will be picking up a 60x96 alpha tommorow from shopbot and curious as to what types of dust collection everyone is using. I will be cutting all types of materials wood plastic aluminum hdu as it will get used mainly for signs. B
    I have a Belfab 7.5 Hp unit as my central DC in my shop. When I am runnign something on the Shopbot, I am often (or one of my guys) using a few other pcs of equipment at the same time.

I have a 4" run of flex hose running to the bot, around 10', after about a 10 to 12 foot run of steel piping. I find my dust collection very good - excellent, actually.

As a stand alone unit - based on my prior experience with several smaller systems in my old shop, I'd run a 3 HP unit if possible. All depends how clean you want to be

In my old shop I had a few 3 HP collectors, and one was fine to run the planer, large panel saw, shaper, etc (only one at a time, when you tried running two machines it wasnt enough to keep up).

If you can swing it, a cyclone is nice.

I will only be running the dust collection for the cnc. I want something that can handle some aluminum as well won't be running aluminum everyday but from time to time

Go with an Oneida cyclone. Pretty sure they are the best there is. If you are budget restricted, grizzly makes cyclones that I hear are not too bad. I have an Oneida and it's only 2 hp and it does a pretty good job with the kent dust shoe. Agree with Andrew about multiple machines at once and needing more power. I bought mine thinking I would only run one machine at a time and now often have at least a planer running simultaneously as my bot and end up vacuuming up some debris with the shop vac afterwards. Congrats dude.
    PRS Alpha 96" X 48" w/ 12" Z
    4hp Spindle
    6" Indexer
    Aspire 8

Quote Originally Posted by xtreme872 View Post
    ...I want something that can handle some aluminum as well won't be running aluminum everyday but from time to time
    Depending on your dust boot (and the suction power) the aluminum chips may not be sucked up at all. If you use any kind of lubricant (mist or spray) which may be necessary for many aluminum alloys to avoid bit clogging, they chips tend to clump. If you cut dry, larger chips may be thrown out under the dust skirt. You may have to live with some chip cleanup, especially for smaller/taller parts that can not be covered tightly with a dust boot. One of the reasons I avoid metal machining if I can, especially steel. My machine is a router, not a mill.

I have an Onieda Cyclone and really like it. With the dust shoe it picks up most things but there is still a mess on the table after you pull your parts. I have a floor sweep that I leave open to balance the input. (you should have as much air incoming as if you had no hose on the DC at all.

One thing about cyclones that gets missed from time to time: The big chunks never go through the impeller on a cyclone, so it's quieter, more efficient, and with metal shavings not in contact with the blades, less of a fire hazard.

would a 1 1/2 or 2 hp be enough for just the cnc? Most of the aluminum I will do will be composites. is a cyclone a must or just that much better than regular?

That should be fine. Shopfox has a 2HP 220 1PH single bagger that works great. Adding a separate cyclone makes life a lot easier.
    They're not the only decent one but I have had good luck with mine as well as their bigger one. Steel impeller is one good reason.
    If you want to come pick one up I have both for sale but local pick-up only. I'm getting out of cabinets and moving to a different job.

I have a 2 HP Harbor Freight unit with a Thein separator and it works good for most stuff including Komalu or Dibond

just the standard bag one not cyclone?