Thread: XY Fusion 360 weirdness

Question XY Fusion 360 weirdness

Help!

I'm using Fusion 360 to design my model and then switching to the CAM workspace to define my toolpaths. When I use the post processor to create the .sbp G-Code to use in ShopBot is when I run into my problems.

I manually set the X and Y position to the front left corner of the Shopbot Desktop. When I run the part file I hit the limit switch since it is trying to align to an X and Y that is not on the cuttable surface.

When I switch to preview mode in Shopbot 3 I can see my model is off the cuttable area.

When I use V-Carve (which is much easier) I see that V-Carve has the ability to set your X and Y position in one of the 4 corners.

In Fusion I think this is defined in your sketch planes, but I could use any insight in how Fusion 360 communicates this to the Shopbot Post Processor.

F360 to ShopBot Gcode.jpg

Here is a screen shot of the X Y weirdness in Shopbot's 2D view - in 3D view the Fusion 360 created Toolpath looks fine.

I'm launching the app now and I'll try to get you a screenshot to show what I'm going to recommend.
    Make sure you're setting your origin and that your x/y arrows are pointed properly according to your machines direction of travel.

Your screen shot is very small, can you open the setup window in Fusion and take a screen shot with the settings and origin point showing?
    Attached are a couple screen shots I just took for reference. Make sure the origin point is at your machine's origin and that the arrows are pointing the correct direction (towards + values).
    Capture.JPG
    Capture2.JPG

Shop Brady,

Thanks for firing up Fusion and looking into it.

I verified my CAM's workspace XYZ matches your screenshot. I'm using the traditional X is Red and goes from Left corner to the Right. Y is Green and goes from the Left corner to the back. Z is Blue and goes up from the face. Not sure why my last screenshot came in so small. Here is another one.

XYZ.jpg

Here is a DropBox link to the following files:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ygqwst5qd...FwlqgGLWa?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ygqwst5qd...FwlqgGLWa?dl=0
    1 - Larger screenshot of the XY offset problem
    2 - A sample Fusion 360 model called "X and Y Test.F3D" that can be opened in Fusion 360
    3 - A sample of the G-Code exported from Fusion 360 called "X and Y Test.sbp" that when loaded into ShopBot 3 looks fine in 3D but shows the X and Y offset problem in 2D mode.

I have access to the Shopbot Desktop, Buddy and Alpha. I've only tested this on desktop, but since I can see it in Shopbot's preview I assume it'll be a problem on the other two too.

Thanks for the help. I'm getting close to getting this working and appreciate the insights!

Riptide,
    Like Brady was showing, and as evident in your pic, I believe your origin isn't set up correctly in F360. You can clearly see in you pic that in the ShopBot Preview, that your origin is set to the middle of your vectors, not the lower left.
    When in F360 CAM SETUP, make sure you have your Work Coordinate System (WCS) Orientation and Origin set to where you want it. Depending on where you constructed your model in F360, it might be at F360's origin or maybe you want/need to set your WCS origin to another place entirely (which is most likely your case). In the Setup tab, set your Origin to 'Selected point' from the drop-down menu and then place your origin on your model accordingly. I like to z-zero to the top of my material. Also, check to make sure your orientation is correct, and you can adjust that as well.

Attached is a screenshot for reference.
    Capture.jpg
    PRS Alpha 96" x 60"

THANK YOU. Came back from memorial Day weekend to your answers, and yes it was how I set the WCS in F360>CAM>SETUP. Once I figured out how to center the XYZ in the correct orientation and off the correct corner of the model I was able to see that ShopBot3 saw it correctly in both 3D and now 2D mode!