Thread: VFD electrical question

Default VFD electrical question

hi,

not sure i this is the right forum to post this question, apologies if not.

installing my VFD drive on the first build of a PRSalpha 96x48

i noticed that the spindle is an HSD single phase 220v ,as it should be,the VFD is rated for 3phase though. i know sometimes you can wire things for 120 or 220 or 220 or 440/460 so maybe its not an issue but is this correct? thanks!

are you sure you don't have that backwards? all the spindles are 3 base an the vfd is either 3 phase or single and it is a converter to change it to 3 phase.

Quote Originally Posted by knight_toolworks View Post
    are you sure you don't have that backwards? all the spindles are 3 base an the vfd is either 3 phase or single and it is a converter to change it to 3 phase.
    the spindle is rated for 220V single phase. the VFD on its model number is saying it is a 3phase model. there is a list of about twenty different spindles and there are a few that are single phase, and the one i have is on that list as a single phase....any clues?
    thanks for the reply!
    -g

I am not familiar with this specific model but in general it goes like that:

The spindles themselves are always 3-phase and need 3 wire hook-up to the VFD. They are just an induction motor for high frequency AC (usually up to 400 Hz).

The bigger VFDs (e.g.>1kW) have also 3 phase supply terminals and accordingly a 6-diode bridge rectifier in the input that are rated for the full power. If you hook up only 1 phase mains supply to the VFD it will work just fine as far as the rectifier goes but that single phase must supply much more current and creates more ripple voltage on the internal DC circuits for the same power. For that reason the same VFD will run a bigger spindle on 3-phase mains supply than on a single phase supply unless they have specifically higher rated internal components (like my 2.2kW Hitachi VFD).

i see, yes i had it wrong the spindle is 3 phase, well then i guess im going to have to return it since i do not have 3 phase, i told shopbot that i had single phase only so im not sure why they sent this one to me? man that sux. im almost dont puttin git together too!

also FYI i have the following:

V-1000
    HSD-2.2 hp

so i also have 2 phase power in my building(kudos to anyone who knows what that is,i definitely have 2 phase power, its old fashioned look it up) so i have to run things single phase by removing a leg of power,actually three legs for 120v are removed and two legs are removed for 220v. the electric i have is four wire, one line of 170v one of 240v one of 180v and one of 230v. so yeah its a littel weird to begin with. i can get 220 no problem but i dont have 3 phase.

edit: i just heard back from tech, they say all is good for a single phase hook up ,thanks for the help guys!

They sent you the right one you just hook the VFD up to your 220 and it creates the third leg fpr your spindle. That is how mine is set up