Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The One Man Shop

Default The One Man Shop

It's a tall order to open a sign business by yourself.

We see franchises opening up all the time with considerable success. While they aren't set up as a one person operation, they do have a good business model some of which can apply to all of us. I've always admired their technique when setting up a new store. They've got that down pat along with their advertising program. Even so we see some of these franchises fail. But they start off with a good program knowing what they want to accomplish. They also have the computer equipment and software ready to hit the road running.

Most franchises aren't interested in dimensional work because it takes too much skill, knowledge and equipment. Not only that, the less accomplished designer will work themselves into financial holes.

Here's a guide. To bring in good financial returns you should touch the product as few times as possible. This means knowing the materials that will be used and refining the finishing process so it comes together quickly.

Set down with a hot cup of coffee and a sketch book to list materials and techniques for the project. Try to figure out where the problems may occur. Then follow your plan to the T. Make as few changes as possible.

Getting Assistance:
    It's almost impossible to cover all the necessary business steps by yourself. Part time may be the answer. For example ten hours a week for general help assistance might pay dividends. Lets say you are weak with the computer and design. I've had lots of people offering this kind of help. Then there's bookkeeping and advertising which needs to be done. The point is, there are lots of folks available part time for not much money. To make the most out of it requires making a weekly list of what you want the part timers to accomplish. And how much you are willing to spend.

The best employee I ever had came from a news paper add. He started at minimum wage and was destitute. Although he was illiterate and came from the other side of the tracks he ended up a model sign person. Over the years his skill level couldn't be beat and I paid him top wages. Terry passed from heart disease four years ago. But the point is, if you look for part time assistance in an area where you're weak, it could pay off big time.

I'd enjoy hearing about methods and suggestions for easing the burden of the one man shop. Topics like advertising, yellow pages, websites along with unusual materials. I have several materials someone might be interested in. Then there's always shop equipment Tips and Techniques.

Joe

Before opening a new venture the first thing is to ask your friends and neighbors if they think YOU are a PEOPLE PERSON. So many businesses fail because while the owner may be a great technician they really SUCK when it comes to dealing with customers. Your customers have no idea what any of our machines or techniques are called or how they are used, all THEY know is they would like a cabinet or sign that will work for them. What does that cabinet or sign look like, they haven't a clue. That's where Joe's highly touted 'batch of samples' comes in. Show them some 'stuff', they will say I like this or that without knowing what its called. Now you have some rapport with the FUTURE client without getting technical. PEOPLE SKILLS. At least it works for me. Russ
    AKA: Da Train Guy

Yes, that's the thing. I went from the franchise, to my own business in DE, then my own business in GA. 41 years old now but I am ready to get my head back in the creative game!

Franchise: Started at age 15 sweeping the floor, taking out trash, and learning to weed, tape, and apply vinyl to various substrates. 6-7 years later I was a key employee. I handled all production and always meet customer deadlines. Ordered all materials, vinyl, sheet goods etc. Of course I dealt with some customer in the process and I have always been a people person. I worked plenty of all night projects when needed with help, we were making overtime and took pride in the job we did. Owner ended up firing me because we could not agree on terms.

1999: Started sign business of my own with financial backing of my Dad as 50% partner. Started with a Graphtec 30" plotter, and gerber software to drive it. ( this is the software the franchise taught us)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by David Iannone; 06-02-2016 at 02:20 AM.

One of our big customers for 3-4 years before B of A bought them out and of course they brought their own graphic team.

We cut all the raised letters on our SB and printed the monster wrap on our printer. When we completed the graphic install that was the biggest one at that month and I just kept on making promises that I always kept.

Back then I had family working with me and also some good employees as well.
    Last edited by David Iannone; 06-02-2016 at 02:55 AM.

...........these were the good old days to me.

The bus and van was done with e-stat graphics back then. The q102 and the alice van I was only the installer. I was supplied the vehicle and graphics at our location.

Eagle limo I did the perf on the gerber edge and the rest was cut vinyl.

All this digital printing was done with our gerber edge, and cut vinyl.
    Last edited by David Iannone; 06-02-2016 at 03:30 AM.

This is another project many years ago in DE. Work was fun back then. some times on big projects like this I was just the installer. They sent graphics and vehicles to us. We used to have the room to pull a bus in and wrap it.

2006: Moved to GA to move back to my wife's home town with our daughter which at the time was 4 years old. I took a leap of faith in my opinion.

So I fell flat on my face trying to get sign work 800 miles away from people who don't know me.

2007: I got a "real" job like my wife told me to do. I became a cable installation contractor. By 2009 I have moved up to a supervisor position and at that point running an office of 12-15 cable techs and was happy with my salary.

SEPT 2009: While training one of my techs on a Voip phone install, I fell off the ladder at least 14'. I had my ladder on the house and was in the process of pulling up the new cable line to the house. It was a rainy day and the next thing I knew I was seeing stars and the guy I was training called 911. My left leg bones all broke at the bottom and the only thing holding on was my skin. I never passed out, and it hurt a lot. Well long story short it was about 5 years of surgeries, surgeries, lots of different doctors. Good thing is they actually saved my leg, and the doctors told me back then I would only be able to do this and that. Well, I surpassed what they thought I would be able to do
    Last edited by David Iannone; 06-02-2016 at 04:12 AM.

2014: Finally getting around better on my feet without crutches or wheel chair. Started to get back to my roots....SIGNS.....its been tough but this year I have a lot of business momentum, but my personal life is in ruins, sad but I realize I need to get back to the one thing I have ALWAYS been good at........making signs
    Last edited by David Iannone; 06-02-2016 at 04:43 AM.

Thanks for posting such an inspiring story Dave.
    Buddy BT48 with 6' power stick
    2.2 HSD Spindle
    Aspire 9.5
    6" ShopBot Indexer