Thread: Desktop control card not found by laptop

Default Desktop control card not found by laptop

I've lost comms to my Desktop V209 control card. I have SB3.8.40 on a dedicated WinXP laptop with no other programs and not connected to the internet. I've had the same setup for three years, but today when turning on the machines I lost USB comms to the desktop. I cannot get out of preview mode, and when attempting to reinstall firmware get message that "control card is not found". I tried all USB plugs on the laptop and tried a second usb cable. I switched to a Win 10 computer with the same results. I restarted the computers. I removed the control board and reseated the control card, ribbon cable, and control board. On the control board, there are two green lights and two red lights visible, and I think there is another red light behind my indexer driver. On the control card, the D3 light is on all the time, but D1 light comes on and off. I pressed reset button on control card but that didn't help. After submitting a tech assist request I received a reply to check the Device Manager. I went to CP>System>Hardware>Device Manager and could not find any indication of ShopBot in any part of the Device Manager. For good measure, I uninstalled SB3 and the controller driver from Programs folder, deleted the ShopBot3 folder in Programs, and reinstalled the SB3 and driver (with usb unplugged). I did this on both the XP and Win10 laptops. I still cannot communicate to get out of preview or update firmware. I will be calling SB Tech Assist on Monday, and I'm thinking I have a bad control card. But I thought I might ask the group if anyone has seen this particular comm problem and knows of a software issue I could attack this weekend.
    Thanks,
    Andy
    Andrew Pitts ~ FurnitureMaker
    AndrewPittsFurnitureMaker.com

Did a lot of driver reloading today, and finally we (SB tech and I) figured the control card must be shot. New one on the way. Will update with results.

Thanks for posting Andy.
    Electrical is one of my nightmares...couldn't even track down my Fein turboII DC problem(lucky it's under warranty and had a spare)
    Bookmarked because of the things you checked.
    scott
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Received the new control card this afternoon, replaced it onto the control board, and three green lights are lit (there were only two on the bad card). The new light is on the right nearest the rear of the machine and lights when the usb cable is plugged in, even if the SB is unplugged. The center most light seems to flicker with data stream, and the right light nearest the control board seems to be a power on light. Now the machine responds, but all movements are in the negative direction of what is commanded, and the C5 routine starts before pressing OK to start the spindle. Gotta be a setting somewhere, and for good measure I totally uninstalled and reinstalled SB3, the drivers, and the firmware. I also removed and reseated the control board just in case there was an improper connection. Have a call in to SB support, and will scour the forum for similar woes. Seem to remember a setting that can be made "negative" in this situation.

Found a post where Brady said putting a negative sign in front of the X, Y, and Z values in VU make the movement reverse, so did that and now the arrow keys move the machine properly. Making some progress, but still think there is something fundamentally wrong if replacing a control card causes these aberations.

Andy...
    Can you make sure that you reload the settings for your machine? In some cases the direction of an axis is dependent on the setting that were programmed into the card, and these settings can vary by model. If done, there is no negative to using the "-" sign. [sic]
    Gary Campbell
    GCnC Control
    GCnC411(at)gmail(dot)com
    Servo Controller Upgrades
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1

"We can not solve our problems with the same level of thinking that created them"
    Albert Einstein

Correction to my posts: the C5 always started as soon as C5 was pressed, so that's not a problem. Cutting a file now, and all seems to be working correctly with the VU changes I made.

Gary,
    I forgot to mention that I did reload the setting for the desktop. I figured that might be the problem, but still need the negative signs in VU. I didn't know that can vary by card model. Thanks for that info.

Hi, Andy,
    Did you ever get this sorted out? I've really enjoyed your YouTube videos chronicalling your CNC journey... One of the CNCs on my short list is the Desktop Max... I am less interested in signs- more furniture and joinery, so I am looking at the increased Z travel and the ability to mount boards vertically. Thanks again for sharing your skills!
    Larry