Thread: What do you Recommend a laptop to run shobot/Aspire software ?

Default What do you Recommend a laptop to run shobot/Aspire software ?

I just Purchased a 48 PRS Alpha Buddy 4hsp spindle
    and 6ft power-stick. Should be arriving late July
    What laptop would you recommend a to run 4 to 6 hr runs.
    I will be giong through a learning curve and probably do a lot of stop and starts. I use a Lenovo laptop with windows 10 with fusion 360 / Aspire. Any suggestions.
    By the way I have been reading and following a lot of you on the forum about 6 months and find it very helpful invaluable information very talented makers.
    Shopbot has been very helpful to.

Thanks
    AJ

AJ…
    Laptops can have issues running a bot, due to their power saving strategies. Some of these strategies include powering down USB ports… some folks have been successful in shutting down some of these “features”, but if your plan is to use it as a “laptop” when not running the bot, it might not last long on batter power…
    In my opinion, a small, old, cheap desktop might serve you better!
    SG

Quote Originally Posted by steve_g View Post
    AJ…
    Laptops can have issues running a bot, due to their power saving strategies. Some of these strategies include powering down USB ports… some folks have been successful in shutting down some of these “features”, but if your plan is to use it as a “laptop” when not running the bot, it might not last long on batter power…
    In my opinion, a small, old, cheap desktop might serve you better!
    SG
    Thanks I will check out finding a desk top computer would be dedictated to shopbot only.
    the Lenovo I use for business /design not to be used for the shopbot except to transfer filles back and forth.
    Aj

I have no problem cutting with even a cheap laptop, just make sure it is plugged in and the power settings are set so it stays fully awake when doing a long cut.

The biggest "stress" on it would be rendering in Aspire which might require a decent video card. I alway do my major design work on the desktop and then use dropbox to have the files on the laptop. Then do minor edits if needed on the laptop.

Quote Originally Posted by markevans View Post
    I have no problem cutting with even a cheap laptop, just make sure it is plugged in and the power settings are set so it stays fully awake when doing a long cut.

The biggest "stress" on it would be rendering in Aspire which might require a decent video card. I alway do my major design work on the desktop and then use dropbox to have the files on the laptop. Then do minor edits if needed on the laptop.
    My lenovo Has 16 gigs ram with a high end video card.
    I hook it up to my 65in Samsung when I work in either program.
    3d rendering is still a little slow but I can live with it.
    I will probably have at least the same ram and quality video card on the dedicated shopbot so I will be looking for a factory reconditioned box or laptop. I may get a better computer for design down the road.
    I just want to get cutting
    Thanks for the input

While a decent video card might improve rendering and twiddling performance, a faster processor will greatly improve toolpath calculation times (mostly seen with more complex models) and rendering.
    Scott