Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vcarve

Default Vcarve

I am looking to Vcarve my first HDU sign. the size is 47.5"x77.5" out of 1" 15lb HDU. Looking for some help on bit types and tips? was thinking about routing .25"-.3875" depth?

Not enough information.

What does it look like?

I bought a piece of 1" 20lbs DUNA HDU for a panel about the same size as yours. Once it was in my hands, I knew it was a mistake and got a piece of 1" PVC instead. The only reason I considered HDU for the project was weight and after I figured in the metal structure required to keep the HDU flat and stable, based on some rough math I figured the PVC would only weigh a few pounds more. PVC was used as is, with no metal structure, was painted a relatively dark purple and hasn't bowed/bent at all.

image.jpg

Her is pic

This is a high order for a newbee.

What you may not understand the stroke of the letter, when using a Vbit, will call out the depth of cut. What you should do is purchase a couple of MDF panels and start experimenting. The best instruction in the world isn't as good as experience.

Looks like you will be painting down in the well of the letters with yellow or gold. This needs some consideration. It's not all that easy for a first time out.

I have been doing signs for 18 years. I have did many routed signs, with someone else routing them for me and me doing the finish

Great, then you know about the stroke and depth of cut. I'd suggest if you're letters on Baptist are approx. 6" high with a letter stroke of .70" then you're depth of cut will be close to .70" depth if using a 90 degree V bit. You've probably want a 120 degree bit.

Please post some photo's of the signs you've cone.

Joe

Attached Images Attached Images

I would recommend to prepaint panel black and apply paint mask. Carve it thru paint mask with 120 bit. start painting with a first coat same as a color of the background.

So on my tallest letter I have a height of 6" on the capital letters and a stroke of roughly 1", I am gonna order a 120 degree bit? Any particular one better than others? what would this depth be? is there a way to figure it? I am gonna be using 1" HDU with an aluminum frame between the 2 signs.

Assuming you're using V-Carve Pro or the ShopBot version, when you program the toolpaths, it will tell you the depth. I've used Magnate 120* v-bits and I feel they are worth the money. Can buy them on Amazon for around $40. Based on the info you're giving, I'm going to guess going to a 140-150* bit would likely be best unless you're willing to go to a 1.5" thick panel. Punching the numbers in your software will quickly tell you what bit you want to use.

As for the process to paint, it's all been covered before and it seems like it's something you're experienced with. The "tricks" I can tell you are.

1. Flat sheet goods and flat spoil board make for consistent routing.
    2. Paint compatibility is key. Some paints just don't play nicely with each other. Some paints don't play nicely with masking material. Assuming you're not using Matthews or automotive paints, I can tell you the paints Joe has recommended in the past work well. For a panel like that, I'd use DTM or Ronan enamel.
    3. Let the paint dry. This material doesn't absorb and breathe like wood. I typically put 3 coats on my panels, because I'm nuts. For the base coat, I paint in the morning, and let it dry a full 24 hours. The second coat goes on the next morning and an additional coat before I leave for the day. Then again, let dry for 24 hours minimum. Then masking goes on. Let it sit for a few hours. Then it's time to route.