Thread: Has anyone cut G-10?

Default Has anyone cut G-10?

I want try to make some Hull Identification Numbers in G-10. I would have to engrave the letters and numbers, about 1/16" deep in some G-10, and then cut the perimeter through the 1/8" material. Anyone have any experience cutting this material on a Shopbot?
    Happy Fathers Day!
    Regards
    Peter

fairly nasty stuff. extremely hard. I found a fiberglass bit works if you don't take much off in a pass. I can't check today but something like 1/16" per pass not sure on regular bits I can't remember for sure but maybe like cutting aluminum. I got onsrud fiberglass bits dirt cheap on clearance on eBay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-4-Solid-Ca...4AAOSw2XFUliNd
    but it is still better the phenolic that stuff stunk up a huge basement kills bits in about a hour.

We use a lot of G-10 for backing plates so am very familiar with its properties. I will have do some testing to determine the correct bit, feed and speed.

Try the search button, there is some info buried in older posts. I did dig up one of my old posts about it that should get you started. It is no problem at all to do what you are asking, just make sure to have the right bits and a decent shop vac hooked up.

http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/sho...062#post186062

Ive cut 1/16" and 1/8" G10 quite easily on the CNC with a two flute carbide spiral. It didnt seem to be much trouble. Slower feed speeds than what I usually cut though.

I tried cutting some 1/2" a few years ago.. wow that was an eye opener. I managed to break a few bits and burn up a few more.

I cant recall the exact feed and/or speed but I would start slow and work up. I think I cut the 1/8 in the mid teens RPM wise, and maybe 60 to 120 IPM.

I just remember cutting about 48" by 48" out (all small pieces) with the same bit. Much easier than the 1/2" which was insanely difficult.

All good info! Thanks.
    Regards
    Peter

G-10 dust is really nasty stuff. We used to machine it on our milling machines where I work all the time. Our health and safety people eventually banned it from being cut in-house. We now outsource all of it.

Any particular reason you are using it for boat numbers?
    PRT Alpha with 7.2 upgrade, indexer, and PC router

We can carve the Hull Identification Number (HIN, like a VIN for a car) into it and then laminate that directly into the boat. We used to use a label maker that printed backwards, which we would put in the mold and then laminate directly on top of it. I don't think we can get those label makers anymore.

Not sure what your needs are for this numbering, but have you tried printing on white tissue paper and using that in your lamination? You place the print under the final layer of fiberglass. The white tissue paper wets out clear and you only see the print.

We used that technique for labels, numbers, graphics, colors, and all kinds of stuff for fiberglass laminates. Our application used 3/4 oz glass as a finishing layer so it worked well for that.

Just trying to save you some G-10 dust.

brooklin? im on deer isle. post results!