Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: A high speed 3D laser scanner for your ShopBot

fossiera@msn.com Guest

Tom, please include my name on your email list.

Thanks, Andy

brett_stahl Guest

Thomas,
    I would like to be on your e-mail list.
    Thanks,
    Brett

tbrown Guest

To All,

Hope you received the files I emailed late last week.
    I (and probably you) noticed some anomalies in the tractor roof edge. I have found the source of the problem and corrected it.
    The problem that I have coined "bleed through" comes from the arrangement of the camera and lasers. The scanner actually takes 2 pictures of the object as it is scanned. One picture viewed from the left of the object, and the other from the right. This arrangement allows the camera to see features of the object that may reside under other features of the object at the same logical x/z point.
    In this case, features of the roof line of the tractor, inside of the tractor cab on the left, "bleed through" to the outside right of the of the tractors roof line.
    I thought I had all cases of this covered, but this situation occured in the camera "blooming" compensation, that corrects for how objects appear to get larger as they get closer to the camera.

As I mentioned, the scanner takes two pictures from left and right perspectives. This arrangement captures much more information about the object than is displayed in the output files. For example, you could rotate the tractor image using the scanner software, and produce an output that shows the back end of the tractor as seen by the right perspective. Or rotate the image of me and see the details of my ears (yuck).

Since re-writting the software in windows, I have not re-installed the rotation software, but intend to over the next week or so. I would like to provide some rotated images produced from the same scan files that were used to produce the images you already have.

Thanks to Bill Palumbo who suggested checking out AccuTrans. I have added the ability to produce .xyz files at any specified resolution... feed that to AccuTrans and get cleaner dxfs and other output formats. Still looking into how to produce a point cloud.

I want to provide new corrected files, and new file formats to all who want to be keep up to date.

One member offered to provide these files on his web sight, and I ask if he would, but I have not heard back from him yet. If anyone else can help in this area, please let me know. I hope to get this resolved soon, but have lots on my plate right now.

Thank to all
    Tom Brown

Thomas,

Just to let you know, I haven't gotten any e-mail.

Jay
    StickMan WoodWorking

Tom, please include my name on your email list.

Thanks Dirk

tbrown Guest

Hello all,

Frank has let me place my file on his ftp site.
    They can be found at homeimages.net.

Frank said he would provide some instruction for those of us who have not used ftp sites... thanks Frank.

There are new image files of the owl, tractor, and me.
    They are in xyz format,no commas
    .... dxf format
    .... sbp format
    The dxfs were generated using AccuTrans3D so there should be less problems for you.

The xyz files are ASCII.
    The tractor is 142 rows by 205 columns, owl 193 rows by 128 columns, me 175 row by 143 columns.

I also placed 3 .zip files containing only dxf, or sbp, or xyz.
    dxfs.zip
    sbps.zip
    xyzs.zip

I will post some rotated images in a few days.

Thanks again,
    Tom

The following instructions are for access to my FTP site. Some of you may not need instructions, but there are others out there who do not have very much experience using FTP sites so it is intended for them:

Frank,
    I have tried your instructions a few times with no luck. I get to the point of the "530 error"and click "OK". But then when I try right clicking or using the "file"command I don't get any option to "login as". What am I missing here? Thanks, Bill P.

Frank,
    In trying the process again I see that I do not get the phrase "FTP folder error 530 etc." It just says "530 error etc."... Has anyone else had luck accessing these files?

Bill, I got the same except when I right clicked in the field after dumping the 530 error, I got the log in dialog, then was able to login and download the files.

Donn