Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New shop ideas

Hybrid View

Default New shop ideas

Hi all,
    I am getting ready to build a new shop and wanted to get ideas - seen other post like this and learned a lot, so would like your input.

So far I am looking at a metal building, concrete floor, spray insulation.

I am in Florida so no floor heat will be needed.

Think I am settling on a 40' x 100' x 14' with a 2:12 pitch

Was thinking a 16' awning down one side but now not so sure.

Think I want to be able to drive through the building across the 40'

I am in a 24' x 32' two story building we built in 96 and it is real tight, I build RTA and custom cabinets along with custom furniture. Some equipment includes 4x8 cnc, 24" sander, table saw, shapers, 13 & 15 & 20" planers, band saw, small lathe and such.

Below is a rendering of a possibility

Thanks in advance
    Tim

Shop 2.jpg
    Tim Lucas Custom Woodworks
    www.TLCW.us

Not sure about everybody else but I find myself always wishing I had more drive in doors, lots of drop down power and air!

Things that I have found useful or wish I had:

Three phase power.
    Spray booth/dedicated finishing area.
    Empty space for assembly and staging while waiting for pick up/delivery.
    Space for a 4x8 workbench in front of the CNC and directly behind a roll up door. Slide sheets off the truck onto the workbench and then onto the CNC. I have a large Kreg workbench on castors and it works great.
    Insulation and air conditioning
    PRS Alpha 96-60 ATC
    16.9hp Republic Regenerative Blower
    Aspire 8.5
    eCabinets with ShopBot Link

https://www.facebook.com/SyzygyWoodworks/

I have a high ceiling / clearance and it sure is nice when swinging 'stuff' around. What I wished I had in my 40x50 shop is 'Spray booth/dedicated finishing area". Russ

Attached Images Attached Images
    AKA: Da Train Guy

That's an impressive setup with all the PVC on the walls, clean layout
    Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life.

"I have a high ceiling / clearance and it sure is nice when swinging 'stuff' around. What I wished I had in my 40x50 shop is Spray booth/dedicated finishing area". Russ

I have always liked looking at pics of your shop - My side wall will be 14' and should be 17' in the center, hope that will be enough - Yes I have a dedicated spray area now and will in the new shop also
    www.TLCW.us

Tim,
    If monolithic slab, then a thermal break on the outside, if small frost wall, then thermal break on inside of frost wall. It isolates your slab/sub slab earth and gives you a lot of thermal mass and will save you cooling costs.
    Russ,
    Did you run any power under the slab?
    Does your 8' ply wall go all around? Great for shelving/tools/vac runs/ad infinitum
    Love how most of your work surfaces are the same height as your trolleys.
    scott
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Larrett View Post
    Things that I have found useful or wish I had:

Three phase power.
    Spray booth/dedicated finishing area.
    Empty space for assembly and staging while waiting for pick up/delivery.
    Space for a 4x8 workbench in front of the CNC and directly behind a roll up door. Slide sheets off the truck onto the workbench and then onto the CNC. I have a large Kreg workbench on castors and it works great.
    Insulation and air conditioning
    Thanks Keith, I was thinking of putting the CNC in a back corner but now will bring it close the drive through area, planning on spray foam insulation and A/C
    www.TLCW.us

Tim: I would pass on a dirt floor since there are so many issues with everything from cleaning up to keeping tools and tables level, but, I hate concrete as it is such hell on the feet and legs. If you do a bit of a concrete ramp at the entrances or drop the wall footer and excavate down enough inside you can engineer support for a 3/4 T&G plywood floor or heavier T&G plank and not only run your dc and power for tools and equipment under it but also save much wear and tear on your body over the long haul. I know it raises the cost, but in the long haul you will be glad you did. The more advance planning you do the happier you will be. Since you, like me, are in the beautiful but humid and insect prone state of Florida a cypress plank floor would last forever and stay termite free.

Quote Originally Posted by bleeth View Post
    Tim: I would pass on a dirt floor since there are so many issues with everything from cleaning up to keeping tools and tables level, but, I hate concrete as it is such hell on the feet and legs. If you do a bit of a concrete ramp at the entrances or drop the wall footer and excavate down enough inside you can engineer support for a 3/4 T&G plywood floor or heavier T&G plank and not only run your dc and power for tools and equipment under it but also save much wear and tear on your body over the long haul. I know it raises the cost, but in the long haul you will be glad you did. The more advance planning you do the happier you will be. Since you, like me, are in the beautiful but humid and insect prone state of Florida a cypress plank floor would last forever and stay termite free.
    Yes I will have to see how much more cost it would add, right now I put cardboard on the concrete floor from the cabinet boxes and that helps a lot. And no, on the dirt floor
    www.TLCW.us