Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: info for cutting acrylics and lexan

Quote Originally Posted by Ajcoholic View Post
    .... has anyone tried using compressed air piped right at the bit (maybe an 1/8" diam or 3/16") and let run steady to cool the plastic as the bit runs around? ....
    Yes, I have done that when I had to cut clear extruded acrylic sheet (which really melts easily and is a mess). See the 1/4" aluminum tube on the left. It is pinched flat to a nozzle and fed with about 20 psi.
    This was for a reverse lithophane, roughing with an 1/8" end mill and finishing with a 0.025" radius ballend.

I am not sure if it is really cooling much but at least it helps clear the swarf from being re-cut. Anyway, it worked for me.

Andrew - I have been cutting a lot of acrylic and Lexan lately, mostly Lexan. I have been using an Onsrud 63-775 1/4" bit. I have a PC router and run it at 16,000 rpm. I cut 1/8" deep per pass at around 2 IPS. I have never had any problem the Lexan melting at the bit. I don't use any cooling. My edge finish is good, I wouldn't call it great. I have used an 1/8" bit in the past with success, but they will break. Stick with a 1/4" if you can, I have yet to break one of those (knock on wood).
    PRT Alpha with 7.2 upgrade, indexer, and PC router

The guy on here who cuts alot of plastic is "Xray" and he would be the guy to get some good cutting advice from.

http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/member.php?5242-Xray
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by blackhawk View Post
    Andrew - I have been cutting a lot of acrylic and Lexan lately, mostly Lexan. I have been using an Onsrud 63-775 1/4" bit. I have a PC router and run it at 16,000 rpm. I cut 1/8" deep per pass at around 2 IPS. I have never had any problem the Lexan melting at the bit. I don't use any cooling. My edge finish is good, I wouldn't call it great. I have used an 1/8" bit in the past with success, but they will break. Stick with a 1/4" if you can, I have yet to break one of those (knock on wood).
    With 1/8" you need to stick with 1ps I use 1/8" a lot to keep the small parts in place. I cut upto 1/2" thick with a 1/8" bit.