Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Using my asm911aadc2.65v servo motor to make timing belt pulleys

I'm using shopbot programmed driver and asm911 motor for this. I think there is an increased resolution with that set up

Very cool! So what you are showing me there with that chart is that my resolution is actually double of what I had calculated.

Jon...
    There definitely multiple programming options, so you will have to test for accuracy when you have it done. You can use the drivers dip switch on 500 to get your numbers (quarter steps) This is what I would do as it will increase your rapid speed capability. At 1339 steps per degree a revolution is around 50K steps per rev divided by 4 (resolution multiplier) that yields 12500 steps/second. With the 3.6.xx software, you may have to stay under 2 revs/second. 1 if switch is set to 1000
    Gary Campbell
    GCnC Control
    GCnC411(at)gmail(dot)com
    Servo Controller Upgrades
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1

"We can not solve our problems with the same level of thinking that created them"
    Albert Einstein

Yes this is the next hurdle to jump, once its all hooked up. I actually have no idea of how to even operate it. I hope that I don't end up smashing it into itself etc. I have no real commercial use for this thing yet, just like to figure things out and play around with stuff like this. I'll likely be on here begging for help once its wired up and running....

Just had a look at my driver ASD30E-A-B1 and the micro switches on it are set to; 1000, 1, -, 1p, or all to the left as you look at the unit. This is as I had it running on the bot when it was a PRT alpha. Current is set to F, v.fil set to A
    by changing the multiplier to 500 from 1000, does that effect the settings in the software? For example if I had it set to 1000 and the multiplier value in the software set to 1273.2395, then I set it to 500 would my multiplier need to change to 2546.4790 in order to keep my output values the same?

Are you talking about one mounted on the machine with a pinion? If so, then when the switch is set at 1000, your UNIT VALUE is 1273.2395. If you set the switch to 500, then the unit value is half of that or 636.6195

If you are talking about your future indexer, then with the switch at 500 you set unit value to 138.8889, and 1000 uses 277.7778 Your resolution multiplier will remain at 4, assuming that is what the drive was programmed to.
    Gary Campbell
    GCnC Control
    GCnC411(at)gmail(dot)com

"We can not solve our problems with the same level of thinking that created them"
    Albert Einstein

Gary, thanks again for all the info. You have saved me a bunch of time with this project. Yes, I was talking about the driver and motor combo that used to be mounted on my machine, I am going to use one of those sets to drive the indexer axis.

I am assuming that those values are specifically for my 25:1 reduction set up. If I notice some slight error in rotation position I would probably need to adjust those values I am assuming. Can you explain the math you used to get those unit value numbers please?

Ok I think I just figured it out; 500 steps per revolution, 360 degrees per revolution= 500/360= 1.3889
    1/8 steps in shopbot programming= 1.3889 x 8= 11.1112
    25:1 reduction= 11.1112 x 25= 277.78

Yup, what you said
    Gary Campbell
    GCnC Control
    GCnC411(at)gmail(dot)com

Albert Einstein

It took a while to finally get back to this project, here are my prototype pulleys. The frame should be a snap to make next and I'm almost to the stage at which I will wire it up to the control box and test the actual ratio that it produces, unlikely to be exactly 25;1. I plan on driving the axis around at 3600 degrees and then checking the mark made on a disc against a set point of starting position. I'll choose a diameter larger than my maximum turning radius of 4 inches, and place the axis in plane with my cnc bed. That way I should be able to support a large radius like 24 inches. Does anybody have any suggestions/ experience with this?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jon; 02-12-2017 at 04:21 PM. Reason: photo orientation