Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Year #5 - daycare kid's coming to the shop... what to do this year?

Default Year #5 - daycare kid's coming to the shop... what to do this year?

OK, so those who may pay attention to my posts might remember that every year since setting up my new shop, I have had several groups of kids come through my shop for a "wood working" day of fun and exploration.

This will be my 5th year (wow where did the time go) since I started this in 2012. It will also be my largest group, with nearly EIGHTY (yes, 80!) kids from 5 to 12 years old coming in 4 groups, for about an hour each.

Every year, myself and my staff - plus several employees from the daycare, come and we briefly explain what happens in a woodworking shop. Then we get to show the kids hands on, how to use hand planes, various hand saws, coping saw, some old hand drills and braces, etc. It is a whole lot of fun.

The kicker every year is that I also prepare a "kit" on the CNC, that the kids get to sand and glue together and take home. We have made a few different types of boxes, and a photo frame.

This year (due to some feedback from the kids and parents) I decided to step up the project a bit, and make... Birdhouses!

I took some measurements from a book on building birdhouses I have, and came up with this design which is good for several small song birds we get here in Northern Canada. The house keys together, and also has a bottom that slides out to clean it, if they decide to actually use it. The Baltic birch I use is exterior grade with a waterproof glue line.

Today I cut enough parts to make 84 houses. It took 6 full 4x8 sheets. Since I have a 48" by 48" table, I cut 12 half sheets. All with a 1/4" cutter and held down with the universal vacuum. I lost only a couple parts that shifted slightly. I still am amazed at this vacuum thing, even after two full years of use.

Today was a warm one here, with temps in the mid 80's. The vacuum pump was putting out a fair bit of warm air to add to that. Glad I dont cut for that long every day!

Here are some pics and a youtube vid if youre interested.

The kids come Monday. Ill post how it went that evening...

It sure is a rewarding thing to do - even though the cost is substantial (one full day lost to prepare, one full lost day for the sessions, plus my two employees I still have to pay, and materials of course). Once a year, its a good way to give a little back to the community.

Without the SHopbot, this kind of thing would never be possible!

80 KIDS!
    Don't forget the day it will take to recover, and get the shop back to normal
    Above and beyond the call...
    It's a wonderful thing you do, and I imagine most of the kids will never forget it!
    (I would have melted in the shop
    Hope it goes smooth Monday.
    scott
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Scott, its a bit of a disruption, but really it is worth it. We all have fun, and most of the kids have been here before and they talk about it for weeks. I get nervous just wanting everything to go smoothly and so forth. It does mean a lot to me that kids will get to see this kind of work. Its pretty rare now, with little to no exposure any more in schools. And little woodworking industry up my way.

Actually this year, my son Joseph (who has been in that daycare since age 6 months, and is now 5 1/2) will be in the group! Like I said, hard to believe.

Its fun to see the kids try planing the edge of a piece of white pine or basswood. Or try the brace, the old Disston mitre saw etc.

Right after they go, we will be back to work... I am currently super busy and actually this past year has been crazy. Busiest year I have had in the past 22. Tomorrow before we go home we will put all the work in progress off to the side, give the shop a good cleaning and set up the work areas. So were ready to go Monday morning.

The temperatures are supposed to drop back into the mid 70's by the weekend. This past week was as warm here, as it was down in the SOuthern USA! Today I was sweating for sure. I cut one pair of my work pants into shorts Monday, and it helps a bit, lol. The sad thing is in a little more than a month, I will probably have to turn on the furnace again.. Summer certainly doesnt last too long here thats for sure.

Thats really nice that you do this maybe a few will take up wood working may have a future employee in the group.

I do a few carving demonstrations and love to talk to the kids after I am done if they are interested, the parents are usually impatient and dragging them away though.

Awesome!!! Always great to make sawdust with little kids!

I belong to a woodworking group here in NC (http://www.ncwoodworker.net) that has an outreach program, they go to fairs and shows and set up a booth with hands on woodworking for kids. They make a lightsaber that on a lathe that is super popular. One year they had a ShopBot desktop setup and made bracelets. I've not been able to attend and help out yet, work is too busy
    Daniel E.
    ShopBot PRS 48x96 (2010 Model)
    Porter Cable Router
    Vacuum Table w/ 2 Fein vacs
    Aspire 9.0

What I do when I don't mess up wood: http://www.pathhome.net

nice of you to do Andrew. To this day I remember doing that as a kid at a 4 H leaders house. One hint to try with small parts that might be small enough to slip on the vacuum table is to wet the surface that is against the table to raise the grain. I do that with hardwood sometimes and it adheres a questionable piece a little better.

Good on you Andrew and a fantastic effort to expose potential woodworkers to the craft. I only do woodwork clubs and mens sheds and they are a handfull! I call these groups Daddy Daycare!
    Buddy BT48 with 6' power stick
    2.2 HSD Spindle
    Aspire 9.5
    6" ShopBot Indexer

Dampening the ply sounds like a good idea. Ill try it for smaller pieces!

Remarkably, the smallest piece (the bottom at almost 5" square) still held just fine. I did have a few (less than a half dozen) pieces over the entire 12 sheets of 48" by 48" lift on me, but they were from the edge of the sheet that was curling a bit due to the heat of running the vaccum for nearly 6 hours straight. The whole machine was very warm including the aluminum bed. That 10+ HP regen blower/vac sure does get warm after a day of run time, lol. Was causing the spoilboard to every so slightly curl on the edges which is why I put a few clamps down to hold the spoilboard to the plenum, not actually on the ply.

Anyhow I have the stuff all done and ready for tomorrow. Fun starts at 9am sharp...

PS every part went through my 36" wide belt sander as well, both sides. Took not to long, maybe 10 minutes. Try that by hand! The kids just have to break all the edges and then glue them up.