Thread: NOT SB related, just a good story from Dad today

Default NOT SB related, just a good story from Dad today

Just got this E-mail from Dad.
    This made me think about what a small effort it is sometimes to affect someone in a GOOD way.
    We don't think how some of the small things we can do make a big impact.
    Just talked to Dad, and he's trying to think of ways to pass it on

"Every day I learn something. Sometimes it's a fact and at other times it can be a feeling.

Last Wednesday I drove to Binghamton, NY. After a 5 hour drive and near 6 PM I was on Route 88 about 20 miles east of Binghamton.

I saw an exit sign that showed about 7 food locations and decided to eat there. As I exited I found it was one where a sign showed 2 were three miles to the left and 5 were two miles to the right. I went right.

This is not an affluent section of New York State and although everything was neat and clean there were few motorcycles and snowmobiles in the yards and many sufaces would benefit from a coat of paint.

I got to a small biz area where there were 3 of the 5 restraunts. A Chinese buffet had one car. A very very small Pizza Hut next to it has several cars. Although small, the Hut got the biz.

I had their buffet for $6 and a $2 drink. Probably had less than a pound of salt but smelled elegant.

When done I waited for the check. None came. I spoke to the waitress and she said my meal had been paid for by another guest. She said she would not tell me who.

There were probably 10 tables occupied during my meal. I was the only one where I was a single at the table. All the others wre loud with family and children.

Some wonderful person thought I was alone in the world so they did me a favor. One I'm going to remember.

This person missjudged me as I am still basking in the wonderful feeling generated from my family at Libbys, but the person giving me a meal didn't know that. What I wish I could tell them is that the meal they purchased for me will drive a feeling that will provide meals for others.

Again, it's not that the food nourishment that's needed. It's that the caring and kindness of another person can make a whole day wonderful.

The next time I see and older person quietly eating alone, I'm going to comp their meal. It's not the food, it's the kindness shown that make you humble and realize what little some people have.

Something I learned after being on earth in my 31,877th day. Keep your antenna up and a smile on your face. Something wonderful may be on it's way to you.

hugs
    mike p "
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

"NOT SB related"... but in a way, I think it is. Almost all of the people in this forum try to help everyone. It does not matter who or what you are.

I worked on an Extreme Makeover house where the volunteer craftsmen in the Art World tent made an average "normal" income of more than $750 an hour. They were not there to make money nor even to stroke their ego. They were there to do very best that they could to try to make life better for someone else. It was not about money; It was about trying to do the right thing. I think your dad wandered into a den of like minded folks.

Paul Z

Nothing against the city folks but us Western NYers are like this. He was only 45 mins from my stomping grounds so if he ever is out this way again I'll make sure he never eats alone. He sounds like he has had quite a life and I would enjoy learning some knowledge from him! Great story and thanks for sharing.

I'm currently in NYC and will be picking up a Desktop from a forum member on Monday. I am beyond excited to meet him and get the machine home to get started.

Thanks Guys!
    Thomas, Pick Bob's brain while you're down there! He has a VERY nice machine and set up(I use the same spoilboard, but mine isn't as stiff/impervious to moisture)
    NICE guy! And a great friend
    scott
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine