Thread: cutting Alupanel

Default cutting Alupanel

A fellow I know who has a sign shop asked me to cut a few simple shapes on my router, from 48" by 48" Alupanel (3mm thick).

Its an aluminum skinned plastic of some sort.

I have an O flute Amana bit that from my research should be good to cut this stuff.

I also have a piece to experiment on - but can anyone suggest a good start point for feed and rpm speeds? I assume a full cut in one pass would be best.

Andrew

it cuts like butter o-flute 2 flute straight bit. I use whatever diameter keeps the parts in place. I usually don't cut super fast because of that and i don't usually need to go super fast as it just in one pass I do a climb as it makes the shavings stick to the scrap.

It's a single flute O flute bit that I have.

The piece is almost the whole size of my table so vacuum will hold it I am sure. I can still put a clamp on each corner. It's a fire department sheild outline. I'm cutting it from a piece of 48" square material

I was thinking about 13,500 rpm, 240 ipm speed? One pass.

Just didn't want the aluminum to gall up.

When I cut it it doesn't gum up my bits. I use a 2 flute down cut 1/8 bit that only need a quick deburring

I do acm with 3mm single flute with 125ipm 24000rpm and 150ipm 24000rpm for 6mm single flute.

We buy ACM 25 sheets at a time- almost always get a burr on the edge but a round steel bar rubbed at a 45° angle on the burr will smooth it down nicely. Gene

ACM cuts very easily so any cutter will do. If you're cutting with an up cut, put the good side down to the spoil board.

I use a lot of 1/8" bits because they are cheap and work just fine. I haven't noticed any real difference between o flute and 2 flute bits, but o flutes are theoretically better bit. I run the machine anywhere from 60-120ipm. RPM varies with the type of cutter I'm using and travel speed but it's typically between 13000-18000rpm. Speed varies based on what I'm cutting. As you'd guess, bigger = faster. Smaller = slower. I use "disposable" bits to avoid having to clean up the burr. A brand new sharp bit shouldn't leave a burr but burr develops after only a few sheets in my experience. The best bit I've ever used for this type of cutting is Onsrud 63-604. Really good bit for aluminum and ACM. Leaves a really smooth finish on aluminum in particular.

Quote Originally Posted by Ajcoholic View Post
    It's a single flute O flute bit that I have.

The piece is almost the whole size of my table so vacuum will hold it I am sure. I can still put a clamp on each corner. It's a fire department sheild outline. I'm cutting it from a piece of 48" square material

I was thinking about 13,500 rpm, 240 ipm speed? One pass.

Just didn't want the aluminum to gall up.
    I'm sure you've already cut it, but I'd slow the machine down. That's a little fast.

Quote Originally Posted by RossMosh View Post
    ACM cuts very easily so any cutter will do. If you're cutting with an up cut, put the good side down to the spoil board.

I use a lot of 1/8" bits because they are cheap and work just fine. I haven't noticed any real difference between o flute and 2 flute bits, but o flutes are theoretically better bit. I run the machine anywhere from 60-120ipm. RPM varies with the type of cutter I'm using and travel speed but it's typically between 13000-18000rpm. Speed varies based on what I'm cutting. As you'd guess, bigger = faster. Smaller = slower. I use "disposable" bits to avoid having to clean up the burr. A brand new sharp bit shouldn't leave a burr but burr develops after only a few sheets in my experience. The best bit I've ever used for this type of cutting is Onsrud 63-604. Really good bit for aluminum and ACM. Leaves a really smooth finish on aluminum in particular.

I'm sure you've already cut it, but I'd slow the machine down. That's a little fast.
    I did cut it this morning. Used an Amana up cut o flute (single flute). Ran at 13,500 rpm and I believe 180 ipm.

Cut smooth and like butter. Left an awesome edge. The guy will be happy.

Thanks everyone.