Thread: Anti Virus software & SB control

Default Anti Virus software & SB control

Hello,

I wasn't sure where to post this. A couple of years ago I used to have Norton anti virus but it was now and then interfering with the SB control and operation of the CNC machine. Have others noticed this issue and what anti virus program do you use, if any, that you don't have any issues?

Thanks
    Angelo

I think most here are going to say that they don't have anything on the SB control computer, and that it's best to not have it connected to the internet / network.
    Daniel E.
    ShopBot PRS 48x96 (2010 Model)
    Porter Cable Router
    Vacuum Table w/ 2 Fein vacs
    Aspire 9.0

What I do when I don't mess up wood: http://www.pathhome.net

Coming from an Information Technology background, I wouldn't run Norton or McAffee on ANY of my computers. Just my opinion.

Hi Jim,

Can you tell me why? What antivirus software do you use?

A

Quote Originally Posted by angelosart View Post
    Hello,

I wasn't sure where to post this. A couple of years ago I used to have Norton anti virus but it was now and then interfering with the SB control and operation of the CNC machine. Have others noticed this issue and what anti virus program do you use, if any, that you don't have any issues?

Thanks
    Angelo
    Angelo,

Your SB control computer should be free of any software not directly involved with CNC operations. I have my machine devoid of everything except Shopbot control software, Aspire and SBLink. Wait, I do have music player that I use to play music. Other then that it's been wiped clean. No internet connection, nothing. This machines purpose in life is to run the CNC. If you have a bunch of other stuff running, foreground or background, it can interfere with the communications to and from the CNC. First thing that goes is any anti-virus software. Horrible stuff. If you're not connected to the internet you don't need it anyway.
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by JimDav View Post
    Coming from an Information Technology background, I wouldn't run Norton or McAffee on ANY of my computers. Just my opinion.
    First, as others have already stated, it is best NOT to connect the control computer to the internet and have nothing running on it other than control software, therefore anti-virus is not needed on the control computer.

Admittedly my experience with Norton and McAffee is dated. My experience says most IT people shy away from both. Requires too much resources slowing the systems down, impossible to get rid of once it is on a system, not the best software, etc. They are more consumer versions rather than professional versions for heavier use and commercial use.

My anti-virus of choice is ESET or AVG, paid versions. I prefer paid versions because any anti-virus program needs constant updating. Viruses are found daily. My software data files are updated every 4 hours automatically. Why? Well, I got a flu shot the other day. It will (should) protect me for any flu virus known the other day. It may not protect me from the new virus found next month. Same goes for computer anti-virus programs. Final reason I use ESET - I have friends overseas that require very secure, highly sensitive computer networks. They prefer ESET. If it is good enough for them, it certainly is good enough for me.

Hope this helps.