Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First plaque, sloppy lettering problem

Default First plaque, sloppy lettering problem

I finished my first project for a friend. It went ok, but the Vcarving was a little sloppy looking. The letters have little waves in them and the circles have flat spots, as do the C, O, P, etc... Is this a problem with the lettering I chose or my machine? I used a brand new CMT 60 degree laser point bit. I meant to inlay the coins, but time did not permit. The molding was my first attempt with VCarve.
    20160902_180042.jpg20160902_163353.jpg

Hello Darin. At first glance, I thought your letters were OK when viewing the over-all plaque. But then when I looked at the close-up, it did look like things were a bit uneven. Then I realized that the paint that you used to fill the letters looked like it was almost over-flowing the edges of the V-carving. That obscures what your machine may have done.

Do you have a picture of the lettering from before you put in any paint? If not, can you do a fresh cut of the same text and skip the painting? I think that such a photo would help people evaluate how your machine is carving.

Your up close photo is pretty good, so you should be able to get something that will give more clues if there is no paint applied. Please try taking pictures from various angles, as I can have a letter look better or worse, depending upon how it is lighted.

And as to your bit, the CMT Laser bit is about the best I have found.

Thanks, Chuck
    Chuck Keysor (circa 1956)
    PRT Alpha 60" x 144" (circa 2004)
    Columbo 5HP spindle
    Aspire 9.0, Rhino 5

Darin…
    It would also help diagnosis if we knew which machine you have and its age. Some of the issues you describe can be caused by a loose or worn pinion gear.
    SG

go back to your original file and zoom in as close as you can get in your 2d view and check to see if you don't have broken vectors or vectors with too many points that are jagged and misaligned. Where did the text come from? Did you copy and paste it, or create it originally? Try remaking the file (not recutting) with a different font and see if that makes a difference.
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

Here is a pic without the paint and right after carving. I re-ran the toolpath right after the first run to clean it up. It seemed that there were thin lines of wood inside the lettering, on the straight lines of the text. The straight edges of the letters also do not look straight, they sort of bump in and out. I used Franklin Gothic Medium font. The preview looked fine, even at very high resolution. There wasn't an excessive amount of nodes and no movement in the spindle. I checked the pinion gears and they looked fine. I'll try and re-calibrate it today. I have a Shopbot BT32 Alpha, 2008.

20160903_093953.jpg

what program did you use to design it can you show us the preview.

How fast were you moving? My opinion is you needed to slow down. Looks like the machine was constantly trying to get up to speed and thus caused a jerky motion.

Well, upon the recommendation of a few, I checked the calibration. It was off on the y by +.007 & +.018 on the X. I put in an engraving bit with a .002 tip and set up a ruler on the bed. The Y is dead on now, from home to 10". But here's my problem, if I move the X axis 10" it's dead on. If I move it 1" it's off by +0.015. This is by adjusting the values in the shopbot software. Where am I going wrong? I know it controls the resolution, which might have something to do with the sloppy lines, but why the difference in 1" and not at 10?

Jerry, I am using VCarve Pro 8.5.

Thanks Darin for posting an unpainted view. Though it isn't as zoomed in as your earlier painted detail photo, it does look like your letters are sloppier than I get from of my 2004 PRT alpha. I hope some of the experts weigh in. I am no expert, but as I recall, the model resolution only applies to 3D models, so I don't believe you can gain any insight by changing your resolution.

While I run my V-carving no faster 1.5IPS, people who know often comment that there are software limits on the speed/acceleration characteristics of your machine on all the curves, which in such work, is virtually everything. But you can go and change those limits. Maybe your limits on ramping speeds, etc as defined within your machine have been incorrectly set by a previous owner, allowing excessive cornering speeds.

There is an extensive write-up on this subject, as I recall, by Brady Watson. (But as my machine worked OK, I have not had to wade into those weeds, though I know that I should, just because this topic is key for obtaining maximum performance.) It may well be that you have to investigate that subject in order to improve the performance of your machine.

Again, let's hope some of the experts weigh in. Chuck
    Last edited by Chuck Keysor; 09-04-2016 at 12:43 AM. Reason: typo
    Chuck Keysor (circa 1956)
    PRT Alpha 60" x 144" (circa 2004)
    Columbo 5HP spindle
    Aspire 9.0, Rhino 5

Darin...
    Your issues are most likely due to mechanical backlash or slop in the drive system. The pinions either have loose grub screws or they are not adjusted fully into the rack. The X axis under the table is the hardest to see, but is the most likely to require adjustment on a regular basis. This condition would return the results you mention above. Debris or lack of lube can cause the pinion to be not fully engaged in the rack.

The only condition that would require adjusting the unit values (calibration) would be a worn pinion. I suggest you revert yours back to the default for your model and leave them alone. You are far better off replacing the pinions than adjusting the unit values to compensate.

You can use a dial indicator to find which axes have backlash and how much. A firm push/pull with the indicator set will quantify the amount.
    Gary Campbell
    GCnC Control
    GCnC411(at)gmail(dot)com
    Servo Controller Upgrades
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1

"We can not solve our problems with the same level of thinking that created them"
    Albert Einstein