Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: help a pneumatic newbie what do I need for this jig?

Quote Originally Posted by knight_toolworks View Post
    can you send me a link for them? I have the toolpaths for this jig edged so there is no wasted time or movement and the machine just jumps over the jig I also edited out all the z movement that lifts the bit up before each depth plunge.s oI would hate to change the jig. so I get these hollowed 14 of them in 10 minutes but there are a lot of vibrations or a simple bar clamp would work but the vibes loosen them. I have done so many of these I got it down to the min. 45 strips on about 5 hours then I have to flip them over and drill two holes in each.
    I would use the ram below to be on the safe side!

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1-37-64-B...wAAOSw5dNWq0VA

The ram below is the neat twin cylinder unit but the bore is pretty small. To work out force just multiply airline pressure by the total piston area in square inches - this will give you the holding force. It will be a bit low but you can compensate a bit by running a strip of emery along the back face. You would need three rams per side. You cant go wrong with this stuff though as there are multiple uses and you do need a variety of sizes and these prices are crazy cheap but still work really well.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Alloy-Dou...8AAOSwpzdWq1zr
    Buddy BT48 with 6' power stick
    2.2 HSD Spindle
    Aspire 9.5
    6" ShopBot Indexer

I helped a friend set up a clamping system for milling 2x4's for home construction, and we used lay-flat hose that was inflated with air. It was laid between a fixed fence and a sliding sacrificial strip and when pressurized puts even pressure along the length of the 2x4 with very little air pressure. We used solenoids triggered by output switches to inflate and deflate the hose.

It works really well and is pretty cheap and easy to put together....everything came from Amazon or the local hardware store.

Billlayflat hose.jpg

Bill I have been messing with air since age 15 and thats the most brilliant concept I have ever come across and just so cheap! Cant wait to try it! Interestingly most of us probably already have the gear in the shop in tge form of pump up sanders. Just take the valve out.
    Buddy BT48 with 6' power stick
    2.2 HSD Spindle
    Aspire 9.5
    6" ShopBot Indexer

Quote Originally Posted by BillYoung View Post
    I helped a friend set up a clamping system for milling 2x4's for home construction, and we used lay-flat hose that was inflated with air. It was laid between a fixed fence and a sliding sacrificial strip and when pressurized puts even pressure along the length of the 2x4 with very little air pressure. We used solenoids triggered by output switches to inflate and deflate the hose.

It works really well and is pretty cheap and easy to put together....everything came from Amazon or the local hardware store.

Bill
    I have had customers use firehose to provide clamping forces. Can you tell me what to get? this should be easy to adapt my jig too. I usually don't reuse jigs just cut them and chuck them when done but this one ends up taking a hour to make each time. so can you tell me what I need?

Bob...I can't take credit for the idea. It works really well for clamping laminations because it applies even pressure along curves and other funky shapes.

You can get layflat hose in a bunch of sizes from Amazon, and we get short scraps from farmers and aquaculture businesses. Fire companies have to replace their hoses every one in a while and are usually glad to have someone take the old stuff off their hands, but that stuff is pretty heavy and hard to work with. The rest is just assorted plumbing fittings to be able to get air into one end and cap the other one.

If you want to automate the process we've had pretty good luck with solenoid valves like these from Amazon. For this setup for Homebuilt we powered the valves with an external 12v power supply and switched them with output switches using a ShopBot relay board.

https://www.amazon.com/Electric-Sole.../dp/B00KKIH1YK

Ive gotten some lengths of used firehose from the local station (for free) in the past as well. We had a kig made to lay up bow limbs (for archery bows) that used an inflatable piece of fire hose. Hardest part is keeping everything air tight.

got it pretty much done. I got the wrong size end clamps but thats easy to fix.
    Attached Images Attached Images