Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Black Locust Beams

That stuff looks old and weathered but flat and straight. I bet it will be great to work with. Show pictures when you finally cut it or make something. I have one squared off log i've had for years, i may have to get down and do something with now!!
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by myxpykalix View Post
    That stuff looks old and weathered but flat and straight. I bet it will be great to work with. Show pictures when you finally cut it or make something. I have one squared off log i've had for years, i may have to get down and do something with now!!
    I'll definitely get a piece this week and do a quick test. Look forward to see what you make from your piece!

Quote Originally Posted by bobmoore View Post
    find some wooden boat builders before breaking those boards up. Black locust is a cherished species for them.
    Thanks for the tip, I sent a few emails to some boat builders around NY State and I'll see what they say.

Quote Originally Posted by scottp55 View Post
    Just thought the "stone wall" quote from Maine Urban Forestry was funny
    "Interesting Features: Although black locust is not an important timber tree in the United States, it is used for a wide variety of products and is planted for many specialized purposes. The wood is heavy closegrained, strong and very durable. It is used for fence posts, poles, railroad ties, ship timber, tree nails for wooden ship construction, boxes, crates and stakes. It is said by some native New Englanders to last “3 years longer than a stone wall.”
    Oh, Was thinking that one side probably has embedded gravel in it that won't show with the metal detector..be careful!
    Haha that stone wall quote is great and I'll be sure to check over the boards. Brand new set of blades on the planer and I'd like to keep them that way for a bit.

I used locus as a fence posts. It is naturally rot proof.