Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another Trestle Table

Russ you most likely are a natural teacher, at my last real job I trained employees at times but that was one on one and they had a job to do. A class of high school teenagers? forget it.

My Vo tech teacher in high school is very likely the reason I am doing woodworking today.

Russ, the four who are really interested are the ones who deserve your attention and you should just dismiss the other 20. I would think you'd have more success creating 4 good woodworkers then 24 half interested ones. I can't think of any of my teachers who were "inspirational". My woodshop and metalshop teachers were "instructional" but it was the drive inside me that furthered my interests and talents.
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

I was one of the twenty when I was in 4-H as a preteen or young teen but I was bit by the woodworking bug and wouldn't realize it for 25 or 30 years. You never know what seeds will grow and when.

Teaching is for sure a special calling. It takes a special type of person to do it the way it should be done. I had some very good, "old school" tradesman who retired from work and took up teaching - in both high school and woodworking college. I still think of them often, and what they tried to pass on to me.

I am not bad one on one. Had lots of co-op students over the years, some who are now in the trade. I have my first student starting this week, in my "new" shop. First one in 5 years. The last one I had is working in another custom shop after attending college, and is doing well. It is a great way to show the younger generation what this trade is about and give them a taste of day to day life in the shop.

Brian, I always like your tables and other stuff - unique. I wish I had access to some native woods up here, but all we have is black spruce and jack pine. Great for making 2x4's but not much else..

I guess you could come down here and smuggle some nice walnut, cedar, and oak trees back with you. lol
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson