Thread: Drawing a simple outline in Aspire... want heart shape

Default Drawing a simple outline in Aspire... want heart shape

I setup my DMAX yesterday, and made my first cuts (the rabbet around the spoil board). I wanted to try a simple V-carve of two intersecting hearts with initials in each heart for a ring box I will be making (I have stabilized some beautiful spalted maple for the project).

Well, I imported the font I wanted and was successful in placing the initials on a layer on top of the bitmap image I had worked out.

The toolpath preview is ok.

But I can't figure out how do get just the OUTLINE of the heart.
    When I vectorized the bitmap image I had done, the toolpath preview
    does an inlay of the hearts.

So I tried just using the draw curves vector tool for even just one
    heart on a layer, and the preview tool is drilling out everything outside the heart shape, as if I wanted a bas relief of a heart.

How do I draw the vector of a heart, so it will V-carve just the OUTLINE, as if the heart
    were a letter? Thanks for any help. I have Aspire 8.5, but can't post
    questions on that forum yet (waiting for Admin approval of registration).

P.S. I have been watching as many Vectric tutorials as I can.

Some progress.... If I choose V-Carve as the toolpath, it does a 'solid' heart. If I choose the 2D Profile Toolpath, it does the outline. Thanks.

To vcarve an outline of a heart you need two lines, so select your heart vector and do an offset... Say .0625", then do a vcarve tool path and select both vectors and calculate. This should give you a heart outline.
    Kyle Stapleton
    River Falls Renaissance Academy
    Math/Technology Education Teacher

PRS Alpha 96x60 2.2 hp spindle, Double Air drills, 6" indexer, Fein 5 zone vac table
    Desktop w/spindle
    Potter Pen
    Aspire 8.5, Creo 3.0

Thank you, still learning, I'll try that soon. I am able to make a channel with the 2d profile path for now. It's a very small carving where I'm basically making an inlay channel I plan to fill with epoxy (black, Milliput brand).

Carolina…
    The best way to learn the software is to keep playing with it!
    One concept that seems to give some people problems is the difference between V-carving and just carving with a V-bit… carving with a v-bit is simply carving on a line (vector) at a pre-determined depth using a 2d profile toolpath, the line can be an open or a closed vector. V-carving, as defined by Vectric software, is carving between two closed vectors or inside one closed vector, the depth of the cut is determined by the distance the vectors are apart and the angle of the bit being used.

The difference between a vector carved with a v-bit and a v-carve of two parallel closed vectors can be subtle… in the attached rendering, heart #2 is a vector carved with a v-bit. Notice that the point between the two lobes of the heart is the radius of the v-bit at the depth it’s cutting. Heart #3 is a v-carve of two parallel lines… the same place on this heart is a point. A small difference that IMHO makes a much cleaner, crisper design!

Heart #4 is two identical heart vectors, overlapped and trimmed into three closed vectors. Heart #5 is just an extension of #4

Heart #6 is v-carving around the same heart vector… It’s interesting that I often have better success carving around small objects/text than v-carving the actual item.

Heart #7 is a texture toolpath between two closed vectors, giving a subtle suggestion of the heart…

As you can see, there are many ways to cut the same vectors! while you experiment with different woods and other materials, you’ll develop your own “style” and preferences…

Have fun!
    SG
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for the explanations. I'm not familiar with offsets yet, and I also appreciate the uploaded pix and explanations. I respect everyone's time, so it is really appreciated! I will try and 'study' these explanations later this week. I have a dedicated laptop for the D-MAX, but I also have Aspire and SB3 on my work laptop...

Wow, great post Steve, but of course I wouldn't expect nothing less. That is very helpful information.

Will

Another simple option to keep in mind:

Go to clipart/objects and people, there is a heart. Drag it into your project space. Create a vector boundary around it, you will have a nice outline of a heart to do whatever you please with it. If you literally just want a flat heart shape, just select a profile cutout on the vector. Or you could cut it 3D shaped, add lettering as you please, ect.
    Doug

Ringbox front.jpg
    Ringbox open.jpg
    Ringbox top.jpg

Finished the ringbox. The lid is a colorized/stabilized maple burl I purchased. The box part is spalted maple that I stabilized myself. I used a 1/16" ball bit and then inlaid the initials and hearts with epoxy. Thanks for all the help/tips.

Wow, The Spalted is Wild
    Pretty ambitious first project Carolina!
    VERY glad you didn't create some very expensive firewood!
    Congrats!
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine