Thread: Aonther "Joseph" project... started scouts this fall.

Default Aonther "Joseph" project... started scouts this fall.

So my 5 1/2 year old just started beaver scouts (the entry level for 5 to 7 year olds here).

This week's meeting, they were supposed to bring some kind of toy that they could (A) take apart fairly easily with a screw driver, and (B) see some sort of drive mechanism that had gears or something similar.

Well, we have a lot of toys. But, everything made today is either sealed shut, or too complex for a 5 year old to get apart and back together in a half hour, and also be large enough to easily see operate.

So, after a bit of sketching in Aspire, and a bit of cutting I came up with a plywood and pine "pickup truck" (ok loose resemblance) that had a series of gears to reduce the drive to axel by 8:1. I used an old 12 volt drill for the motor and battery.

At the meeting, we had by far the best "toy" to strip down and see the parts and get back together. I worked with another boy and my son, and they took turns taking out the #8 screws. The wheels come off, and the axels are just some K&S brass tubing I had in the shop, with the wooden gears glued to them with CA.

WOrks well, easy to see the gears run and served the purpose well. Another SHopbot victory!

Awesome Job. That's more of a Dad Victory than a ShopBot Victory.
    Daniel E.
    ShopBot PRS 48x96 (2010 Model)
    Porter Cable Router
    Vacuum Table w/ 2 Fein vacs
    Aspire 9.0

What I do when I don't mess up wood: http://www.pathhome.net

There is another wonderful Shopbotty thing coming up because of Josephs milestone. And thats the pinewood derby cars. You will be light years ahead of the rest of the troop! You might have to retire from boring kitchen cupboards!

http://www.cncrouterparts.com/custom...ars-p-402.html. Files are also on this page but you do need to tackle Fusion 360! Lots of clever programming ideas in the videos.
    Buddy BT48 with 6' power stick
    2.2 HSD Spindle
    Aspire 9.5
    6" ShopBot Indexer

Thats really cool, great innovation using what you have on hand too.

We all remember the milestones with "Little Joe"...you're a good daddy.

btw i've been a beaver scout all my life.
    started out of the beaver., went to cub scouts, the boy scouts, then eagle scouts.
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

I wish I had time to do more. But, the CNC does really help me turn out quick stuff like this. You can draw up stuff in a short time and cut it out while doing other things at work.

We do more stuff I never post about. But I thought this was neat enough to show others.