Thread: Milling Vise options

Hybrid View

Default Milling Vise options

As a high school teacher, exchanging material quickly is necessary to get through multiple projects in a timely manner. I'm looking for a milling vise that would be compatible with the aluminum t-track bed on the desktop. Obviously this would be for smaller applications when teaching the students CAM/CNC fundamentals.

If anyone knows of a particular vise that would work for this application I would appreciate it. Material size would be fairly small. 6" or less in length would be fine. Thanks in advance.

it would be hard to get a milling vice that can hold 6" material but not be big. you can use t bolts to attach it so thats not an issue. not sure if you would want to use a metal vise on the cnc so many chances to screw up bits.

Once a while I do use a 4" wide milling vise on my T-slot router table, mainly for machining metal (which I avoid if I can). Something like this but I got it for 40 bucks on eBay. Nothing like a Kurt vise but actually pretty decent. It is so massive I usually don't bother with t-bolts but just clamp it to the table. I removed the swivel base but it is still pretty tall and may not fit smaller machines.

But I agree with the previous post that it can be a bit eater (or be eaten by the bit). For quick turn hold down of wood pieces there are better solutions.

This is one that I had thought about making a while back.

CNC Vise Labeled.jpg

Its from http://www.rockrivertools.com/

Thanks for responses. I really like what I'm seeing with the rockriver vise. Does anyone have one of those? It looks like they stopped selling the actual vise and now only sell the plans. Anyone have any experience with making one of these? I really appreciate the feedback. I think you guys saved me from a mistake with the machine vise.

I never went any farther with the rock river vice than looking at the picture.

In a pinch, if you have some of the twin-screw wood jaw clamps, you could screw one of the jaws down and use it similarly.