Thread: SB3 'Material Size' different than Aspire 8.5 'Job Size and Position, how to fix?

Default SB3 'Material Size' different than Aspire 8.5 'Job Size and Position, how to fix?

In SB3, when I open a file I made/saved in Aspire 8.5, the design was always 'off' for the actual cut (glad I trialed on scrap wood first). I found that this is due to the Material Size in SB3 shows up different than the job size and position in Aspire. I will try to attach files, if anyone can tell me how to fix, or what I may be doing wrong.

The example is an Aspire job size of x=3.8 inches, y=2.4 inches (a ringbox lid, two hearts and two initials), but when SB3 opens the sbp (Aspire created) file, the Material size shows x=3.1671 and y= 1.9627 inches. The margin was 0.0 and the corner position x and y were 0,0.

Weirder to me is that when I open the sbp file up on a different laptop, x = 3.2921 and y= 2.0877. SB3 also had .0625 as starting points for x and y (Windows 10), the other laptop is Win 8.1.

A bit nerve wracking, since when you then change/correct it, but can't preview it again after you hit Cut, I'm not sure if it loaded the correction (it seems to), so I hate to risk expensive material.
    I haven't zipped a file before, but I think it worked, the zip file is the Aspire file, which wasn't on the acceptable ShopBot file types list for uploading to the forum.

Neither could I upload the 'log' file as was. Thank you for any ideas on how to remedy this. This was my first CNC project. I was able to change the material size in SB3 to match the Aspire job size and position, but shouldn't this import seamlessly?

Kelson-Cass-ringbox-two hearts.sbpKelson-Cass-ringbox-two hearts.zip

Ringbox top.jpg

Not only should it import seamlessly it should be accurate to within .002. There are two places to look.
    First check your post processor in Aspire.
    Here I have created a part, done a profile tool path and then selected the "Save" button. You get this screen and you can see where the post processor is selected. If you open up that list you will see that there are a whole lot of them. You will have to select the one that is for your machine. There are a bunch of them for shopbot machines. Yours is probably "Shopbot inch arc" but may be something else if you have a spindle or an automatic tool changer.
    Try this and post here. If that does not work you will need to look at the SB3 setup.

Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for the reply. I have been saving as ShopBot arc inch, although I do have the spindle with the Desktop Max. Sorry but I miss what I am supposed to try (I see a pix but not a file to load). I'll look more tonight or tomorrow.

When you open up a file in Preview mode SB control software, unless you have set the file size and origin prior to opening the file the file size will only include where the bit cuts. So to make things clear: If you are cutting a 12 x 12 square out of a 24 x 24 " piece with o,o at lower left and you don't set up the material and x,y zero positions first when you open SB preview then the part will only show up as 12 x 12 or 12.625 x 12.625 if x/y origin is set at .625. The actual file should cut fine though. The constant default setting in preview for xy origin not being 0/0 is a little glitch in the software that has bugged me for a long time. To my way of thinking it should remember previous setting from one session to another but it doesn't.

Are you talking about the preview view in SB3? if so, the material size and zero is not transferred from Aspire - you have to set that up in SB3 to match the way you setup in Aspire
    Ken Zey
    Lookout Mercantile / Digital Millwork
    Rogers, AR
    www.CedarSlabSigns.com
    www.lookoutmercantile.com
    www.digitalmillwork.com

6x12 PRS alpha

OK, thanks, that works. Simply set the Material size up in SB3 to match Aspire file BEFORE I have SB3 preview it. I had the assumption that the file would set up all the parameters, like when one opens a picture file in Photoshop, you never worry about getting the correct size. Thanks for the education. Glad it was a simple answer.