Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ShopBot (arcs)(inch)(*.sbp) versus ShopBot Arc (inch) w/speed (*.sbp)

OK, thanks. I'll look this weekend. The reason I asked was because I recalled an Andrew Pitts's YT video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iwKFDER494

where he discusses and shows how he get's into his Desktop's control board (which also has a controller card with USB port) for
    a problem he had. Thank you for the clarification. I'm thinking there was a VFD manual in all the packings, so I'll check further.
    ShopBot Desktop MAX, spindle, 3" Indexer, Aspire 9.5, and a big learning curve...

Carolina…

Control board, control card and control computer… three different things!

The control board is where everything plugs into, including the control card! The control card is a “daughter” PCB with an edge connector that plugs into a socket on the control board. Current control cards (like yours) have a USB socket on them where a USB cord plugs into it and goes to the control computer, a windows OS laptop or desktop that you provide.

I read what I could readily find on the SB web site regarding the DT MAX and could find no reference to it having spindle speed control. Also, the speed control board poop sheet says…

“The Spindle Control Board is compatible only with ShopBot alpha and V4G boards using SB control software v3.5.6 or greater.”

So… near as I can tell, you don’t have automatic speed control set by the software. Actually this makes sense, the main purpose (in my mind) of auto speed changing is so that machines with ATC (automatic tool change) can change bits unattended and have the spindle change speed automatically, to match the new tool. That said, I sure like it on our PRS for mindless warmup procedures!

Hope I haven’t confused the issue!
    SG

Thanks for a lucid explanation, that was great and I appreciate everyone's time.
    ShopBot Desktop MAX, spindle, 3" Indexer, Aspire 9.5, and a big learning curve...