Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Missing comm

Default Missing comm

I maybe premature with this question. But the last 3-d plaques that i did I went though hours of cutting, as many as 16 per plaque with no problems. During the cut out of both plaques i got a missing comm error. Time wise this is the shortest tool path. Any one ever experience this.

Of course i did a c-3 and i was back in the game.

I have had com errors, some of which have happened near the end of some very long cuts. And the only way I knew how to get back to where I was, was to run the entire file all over again, very time wasting. (Once I had a com error, and I found some command somewhere that said resume at last line,,,,,,, something like that,,,,,,,, and it didn't work, or do what I thought, and it ruined my piece as it started cutting in the wrong place. That is why I just start all over. And I have also taken to breaking my projects into smaller parts, so if I start all over, I am not loosing hours........) Chuck
    Chuck Keysor (circa 1956)
    PRT Alpha 60" x 144" (circa 2004)
    Columbo 5HP spindle
    Aspire 9.0, Rhino 5

I have kind of discovered something, and it may be pure bunk, but it is working for me.
    When I first start the machine I do a c5 to warm up my spindle.
    Afterward the machine seems to get cranky. Nothing specific, it just does not respond quite like it should.
    So after I do a C5 now I shut down SB3 and re-start it.
    I haven't had a comm error in months now!

I have a router but have considered the restart as well. The first of the two plaques i had two comm errors (at different lines) during the profile cut out. But only 1 on the second. Its just funny that i can do hours of cutting with no issues and then bamm.

Is there a chance that after a number of "hours" that your computer is set to shut down hard drives, USB or some other function that is crucial to CNC operation?
    Gary Campbell
    GCnC Control
    GCnC411(at)gmail(dot)com
    Servo Controller Upgrades
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1

"We can not solve our problems with the same level of thinking that created them"
    Albert Einstein

I dont think so. The computer does not shut down. Just a missing comm. Now if i am missing your point tell me how to check it.

The majority of those settings are in the Power section of the control panel. There are numerous settings, sometimes one gets overlooked.
    Gary Campbell
    GCnC Control
    GCnC411(at)gmail(dot)com
    Servo Controller Upgrades
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1

"We can not solve our problems with the same level of thinking that created them"
    Albert Einstein

This one in particular can be an issue and it can get re-enabled with a Windows Update (I've seen it happen).

Attached Images Attached Images
    Scott

thanks i will double check everything.

I'm with Cowboy, "Its just funny that i can do hours of cutting with no issues and then bamm." is my experience as well. I know early on someone suggested I needed to check my sleep mode settings, and I was not set to shut down. But to make sure I hadn't missed anything, I left my computer on for a couple of days, and it never turned off, or tried to do any updates. It just sat there........

It has been suggested to me a couple of times, once very recently, that I should try installing a powered hub between my Bot and PC. I have never done that as that just seemed too improbable. But I have made every grounding change anyone has recommended.

The one thing I have meant to do, and not gotten around to, is to replace the PC that runs my Bot. I am still using the XP machine that came with my Bot when I bought it.

So I have watched with interest for the dedicated control computer that Shopbot may be bringing out that would as I understood/recall, would eliminate the continual data exchange/handshaking between the PC and the Bot. Maybe that was just a dream that I had..........

Chuck
    Chuck Keysor (circa 1956)
    PRT Alpha 60" x 144" (circa 2004)
    Columbo 5HP spindle
    Aspire 9.0, Rhino 5