Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New board or Fix the old one.

Default New board or Fix the old one.

Alright, I have determined that the X2 driver is bad. (see my other thread).

I'm now trying to determine, whether or not, I should have this board repaired or upgrade to a new board. I am right now leaning toward having this board repaired. I really need to try and keep the costs down as much as possible, that's why I am leaning toward the repair option. I just need to get the machine up and running so I can start making it pay for itself. I understand the advantages of upgrading, but I'm not sure whether or not it makes financial sense at this point.

Need to decide pretty quick.
    Tom Bachman,
    Drafting/Woodworking Instructor RETIRED!
    Lakin, Kansas

2001 PRT4896
    https://i.imgur.com/xWEFfDk.jpg

Tom…
    Replace or repair… IMHO if you repair you still have an old board with ageing components. Likely you’ll need to replace it sometime in the future!
    SG

Does that board have an A driver? If it does then you can use it for the x you just have to set it up in the Values screen

I believe that someone told me it does not have the A driver. I don't know what I'm looking for, so I can't say. Here's a picture of the board

Tom Bachman,
    Lakin, Kansas

2001 PRT4896

It appears to me that there are just the 4 drivers (four big heat sinks), right?
    Tom Bachman,
    Lakin, Kansas

2001 PRT4896

Tom
    I do not see the picture of the board now , but I remember seeing one in a early post , As you say there are only 4 heat sinks which are for the drivers , There were one heat sink by X1 , X2 , Y , Z , but the "A" channel looked like just an empty space
    if cost is an issue at this time get it repaired , keep your eye out for a used 4 G on forum ,,, There is a bid difference in performance with the 4G , but will work with what you have if you get it repaired
    There are some people who run there Bots with MACH3 and gecko drives , you could give Gecko a call , check out there web site Gecko.com
    ArtCam Pro 9
    VCarve Pro 8

Default Still for sale...

...if you want to go the Mach3 route. Almost plug and play, if you want to learn how to use Mach3. Mach3 license required.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Scott

Scott...
    You should know most of these guys have outgrown the "MachDonalds" not so happy meal 3
    Gary Campbell
    GCnC Control
    GCnC411(at)gmail(dot)com
    Servo Controller Upgrades
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1

"We can not solve our problems with the same level of thinking that created them"
    Albert Einstein

Yeah, but in the right hands it would make his old iron sing a bit sweeter again. I'm sure you could fix him up with something nice too!
    Scott

Fix it. It is quite possibly just the zeiner diode that comes just before the driver. I blew one on a previous machine ( don't know if I did or the previous owner)... but my brother who is a brilliant guy with computers adn what not, showed me what was needed and I ordered it off ebay for CHEEEP. I took out the old and soldered in the new... worked like a CHAMP. I sold that machine and sent along the spares I got in the ebay deal to the new owner.... but it ran GREAT after I replaced it. My current machine does not have that set up or I would send you a photo of what you would be looking at. ( And the fourth drive may have one in it, even if it does not have the driver. I bet they populated the board- and you could unsolder the one from that driver's set up and have it moved over in a few minutes and tested out and running... and order the replacement as time allows!

Monty