Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Large walnut slab table

Beautiful table Andrew. I really like the walnut burl. It's going to look amazing when together. Bet the owner doesn't cover it up for a least the first year so it can be admired when passing by.

Took me second to realize the burl was on both sides of the base (Nice!)
    Not that I'll be veneering, but what was the .25" substrate Andrew?
    I Like your choice of the center board, Kinda hard to be a "plain" table with all that figure
    (nobody warned me I'd need a drool bib if I opened this thread )
    Make sure to post a pic of support angle because of lack of stretcher please.(have a 10' Hop Hornbeam dovetailed slab bench that has to straddle an 18" tall subwoofer and have been dithering for for 15 yrs about a support angle....AND can't move the sucker by myself anyways(10/4) )
    LIKE how it "popped" in places
    scott
    OH, Steve...how long had logs been on the ground? Just wondering as my uncle still hasn't slabbed the Black Walnut my aunt cut down in August, and want to give him a kick if they winter as logs and will get pithy in sapwood.
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Scott…
    A friend of a friend offered us the log, it had been on the ground for 3 years! It won’t be good “live edge” material as much of the sapwood is not sound. The heart looks really good but perhaps not as dark as might be expected. I’m really anxious to put a finish on some of it to see what it looks like because he has another “much larger” log… he just can’t remember for sure where on his acreage it is!
    SG

Thanks Steve.
    His 3 12' lengths should be good then, as they're resting on landscape timbers and the tops are covered
    BTW, On the shorts he cut, those little "twigs" stopped the cracks in their tracks, but probably because it dimensioned out as only 1.2" and I did the .27" twigs on both sides within a few inches of each other. Wood is still shrinking though(the butterflies WERE flush, and now very slightly proud).
    Sorry off topic Andrew
    scott
    Attached Images Attached Images
    scott P.
    Maine

Dont worry, ill post how I attach the base when its is done. Also, no worries on the thread - I wish I had some walnut logs here. We are in the middle of black spruce and jack pine country. Some paper birch (small trees) and poplars here but predominantly softwood that is cut for construction grade lumber and pulpwood.

I know a chair maker in Southern Ontario (about 8 hours drive south from me) that has a small sawmill and cuts/dries a lot of walnut and cherry that he gets from his area, and some maple too. Ive seen piles of his wood... it makes me envious! If you remember that curly maple rocker I built about 3 years ago, I got that wood from him.

Whew
    I certainly do remember that rocker
    Drooled all the way through the thread, and also showed my ignorance of Sam Maloof(fully rectified now).
    I just mentioned that chair to Robert R. on Friday, when we were talking about his visit to my shop next week and he said he met you.
    Things that pretty stick in your brain.
    I'm jealous of Steve's stash every time I see pics of his loft.
    Hoping to cherrypick some of of that Walnut from my uncle once he cuts it to replenish my stash(got some NICE double crotch in 3 pieces I think, and mentioned to cut some 8,10,and 12/4 out of it).
    Hard to have too much special wood.
    Thanks Andrew!
    scott
    scott P.
    Maine

Quote Originally Posted by scottp55 View Post
    Whew
    I certainly do remember that rocker
    Drooled all the way through the thread, and also showed my ignorance of Sam Maloof(fully rectified now).
    I just mentioned that chair to Robert R. on Friday, when we were talking about his visit to my shop next week and he said he met you.
    Things that pretty stick in your brain.
    I'm jealous of Steve's stash every time I see pics of his loft.
    Hoping to cherrypick some of of that Walnut from my uncle once he cuts it to replenish my stash(got some NICE double crotch in 3 pieces I think, and mentioned to cut some 8,10,and 12/4 out of it).
    Hard to have too much special wood.
    Thanks Andrew!
    scott

Say hello to Robert for me please? We hung out together twice when we attended the McGrew's Aspire event in 2014/2015. He does some amazing metal work on his Shopbot.

I have a little stash here and there in my shop of solids and veneers. Some rosewoods (blackwood, cocobolo, Indonesian RW) pau ferro, some figured stuff, etc. A plank of ebony or two.. and veneers.

They come in handy like for this table, or for the dining room set we delivered last week that I made up cocobolo knobs for. A little extra special something..

I buy the odd piece of wood "just because" every once and a while. Even if it is dearly priced. For me, I'd rather spend some money of a nice plank, and sit on it for years, instead of buying something for myself. I really do love wood!

Certainly will Andrew(he's probably reading this
    My Dad is in town that day and he's a metal CNC guy, and will drop by for half hour for a cup of tea
    Wasn't Pau Ferro one of your Dad's favorite woods and used somewhere in that rocker?
    "Plank of Ebony" I'm jealous...only have 3 small billets left from the 90's(excellent in wet area like baths as accents to Teak with a Tung finish)
    IF I can cherrypick some of uncles Black Walnut it will come out of my food budget (and well worth it)
    I'm having fun with just the branches I salvaged.
    Still interested in a non stretcher solution that meets your standards of heirloom stuff.
    Did you sell that chair for two arms and a leg...or did you keep it?
    Looking forward to next week!
    scott
    scott P.
    Maine

Super nice work, LOVE the burl inlay. Walnut is beautiful but it's a shame that a lot of it around here is cut down and burned for firewood. Most people don't like dealing with the mess of the falling nuts.
    2006 PRTalpha 96x48
    3hp SEV spindle
    Vcarve Pro8
    Always eager to consume large amounts of info, tips, and techniques!

Yesterday I fabricated the metal brackets to hold the base panels on. Today I routed them into the top and used the shaper to machine the panels to accept the brackets. Bolted the works together.. success!

Pics later tonight. I'm at scouts with my son right now.