Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need a Multi Tool which one? (detail sander type)

Miller Marine Products, Ridgefield Washington

Default I need a Multi Tool which one? (detail sander type)

Just like the title says I want to try a multi tool I have never used one and I am putting a new floor in my 5th wheel and could use something to cut close to the wall and this seems to be the best tool for the job. Since I have never even used one who has one they like. I have just about every other type tool but I have never bought one of these.

Mike
    WWW.MillerMarineProducts.com
    Proto Trak DPM CNC Bed Mill
    Brand X Industrial router
    Sharp SVL-2416SE-M VMC

Mike once you have one you will wonder how life existed previously! Anyone will work - long gone are the days of the $400 Fein! We do a lot of work on Winnebagos and they are just the ticket.
    Buddy BT48 with 6' power stick
    2.2 HSD Spindle
    Aspire 9.5
    6" ShopBot Indexer

I sure like my Milwaukee cordless... The Harbor freight model gets so hot after a short time; you can’t hold on to it!
    SG

I have the Fein but my daughter bought the cheap one from Harbor Freight and i used it when I was over at her place and it worked almost as good as my $400 Fein. If I was to do it over I would just buy the Harbor Freight unit as I don't need it all the time any more.

Sold my 8yr old Fein 13 yrs ago in a "so poor I sold tools" stretch, missed it all this time, so when I rebought I got another... the new optional 5" hard pad for 5" abranet discs keeps it busy now!
    Grout tool will get countless hours soon.
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

I went down to the big orange box store and bought a rigid for $80 it lasted about 4 minutes now it has a loud screech that it didn't have a few minutes earlier it was working great until then. Dam every time I go cheap it bites me. I am headed back to get something else man it worked great for a couple minutes.

Mike
    Sharp SVL-2416SE-M VMC

I have used two.
    One was the Harbor Freight that one of my guys had and I thought it was OK until I bought the Fein.
    The Fein was so much smoother running it was night and day.

Bosch Multi-X. Very well balanced, weighty, smooth runner. Variable speed - power cable has pivoting strain relief. Very fast yet solid blade changing lever. Gets use almost weekly in my shop and/or on the job site. In shop production, it's very efficient at notching drawer backs for under-mount slides.

Got a deal a few years ago that included the tool, carrying case, plus a comprehensive assortment of blades, sanding pad and larger format cutters in an organizer box. One of the better buys in the Bosch family - completely reliable, well thought out design. The full kit was half the price of the Fein as stated above, yet well suited for professional use.

jeff

I was looking at the Fein and was about ready to grab one but a guy that had the Rigid and uses it a lot told me I must have gotten a bad one so I decided to try another one it was $80 and the Fein was $200 I just don't think I have enough use for one to spend the extra right now but if this one quits before I finish my RV floor replacement I will come home with the Fein. I needed one right now and my local Lowes did not have the Bosch I have several Bosch products that I really like and would have probably bought a Bosch if they had one. Home Depot had a Fein, Dremel & Maketa. If I did not need it right away I would have probably bought something different on line. I will report back if the Ridgid fails again.

Thanks Mike
    Sharp SVL-2416SE-M VMC

I promised to report back the second Ridgid acted up the same way after about 20 minutes. I took it back and bought the Fein but they did not have the blades I wanted and I could not find an adapter to use other blades for it. I believe the new Fein has changed the way the blades mount and so it is proprietary to their blades only at least for the 350 model. I took it back without using it and bought the Maketa I wanted to be able to get blades easily and the Maketa uses the standard blades. I used it to finish up cutting out the old RV floor and it worked great. I liked the way the Fein blades mounted the best but not being able to get a good selection of blades locally was more important to me. I liked the Ridged variable speed trigger but they were not as smooth and they both ended up broke.

Mike
    Sharp SVL-2416SE-M VMC