Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 12x6" padauk slabs

Default 12x6" padauk slabs

Each is 12x6", 1 is .90 thick the other 2 around .72. All have been thickness sanded so they are pretty consistent, but not finish sanded [which really is not a factor since they are going to be machined anyhow].

Really nice wood, and if you planned on making pistol grips or light switch plates ect and have a bandsaw, you could rip them in 2 or even 3 and make dozens from this one batch. More than thick enough for just about any 3D job.

Just $10 each and $10 priority shipping in USA, I think I'd be able to fit 6 of them in 1 box, and if you want a full 6 shipping will be free ,,, If you have ever priced cuts like this at Rocklers ect, you'll know this is very cheap. Not making much at all on these, just looking to pass some surplus on to fellow craftsman.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Doug

PM sent Doug
    scott
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Just wanted to thank you for the custom resaw you're doing for me Doug!
    Didn't realize that it was 2.5" thick slab that you'd cut 2-3 times as needed.
    (keeping in mind 12" of slab counted as 3 pieces)
    Looking forward to adding the 2 24" pieces to my exotic stash
    Thanks Doug!!
    scott
    scott P.
    Maine

PM sent.

Jim
    Jim

96 x 60 PRSalpha, 5HP Colombo spindle, Custom indexer, Custom vacuum table, Custom Fire Extinguishing System

I love padouk, the hardness, texture and color. Problem is that over time it fades, getting browner and browner. Some finishes can delay, but that is all, so I feel almost duty bound to inform my customer of the probability.

I have padauk cuts that haven't faded at all over almost 5 years, decades who knows ? Purpleheart too.
    Alot probably depends on climate/temp/UV exposure, which has effects on just about everything. Wood settles and shifts hues over time, not only padauk. Never crossed my mind to "warn" anyone, as I or no one else can speak for what a chunk of wood will look like in 10-15 years regardless of species.
    Doug

Here for instance are some cuts 3-5 years old at least.
    Lighting is not the best but they are still vibrant and to my eyes have not lost anything, but it is impossible to accurately gauge hue over a period of years with eyeballs alone. Garage kept, low moisture no UV but extremes of both hot and cold ,,, Only finish used was a rattle can matte clear coat.

5-10 years and more, no one can say what they may look like. Safe to say all wood loses color to some degree, and the more vibrant the species, the more noticeable it may be.
    Doug

1997 Padauk with lots of UV exposure and just Teak Oil finish.
    Still gets comments on peoples first house visit.
    scott P.
    Maine

Well, I'm glad for you guys. Never had a piece of padauk that did not come off of the fresh cut kinda red/orange color. Varied after that, with some more like Scott's example and some browner. Purpleheart the same. Seen some of my own work years later that was a really disappointing muddy brown. Maybe it is my wood sources or that the examples have seen too much sun. Anyway, it is definitely a variable that I usually want to point out, depending on the product involved. Especially that exposure to sun will make it worse.

Not your wood sources Donn, mainly direct UV as you can see from the front vs back of that plaque(most often the front triangle is displayed).
    Even when it changes though, usually there are some reddish undertones.
    Yep, I tell people, and we finally yanked it as a wood button choice, but only because with our oil finish, the color always rubbed off on white material, unless we swapped to 6 coats Watco Danish.
    I'm buying for the superb surface left after machining. Mainly for 3D's and Topo's in house rooms with only indirect UV, I tell people to treat them like Orchids,
    INDIRECT SUN ONLY.
    My Mother has a piece in her dining room(2 windows North side) for 10 yrs, and still looks great
    Be wonderful to keep that lovely Salmon color, but I've never found a way.
    I'm actually counting on the color change for the topographicals, as I'll use halogen spots from the "West" to simulate sunrise shadows in the "Valleys" and spur the color change. LOTS of North facing rooms in the Northern hemisphere
    scott P.
    Maine